Equipment storage

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1st impressions, Jan 19, 2001.

1. 1st impressions

1st impressions LawnSite Member

My company is located in the western suburbs of Chicago. I
    currently store ALL my equipment at my house and have run out of room. My wife and neighbors say it is time to get a new place. Can anyone out there give me an idea on the cost to store 3 trailers and possible a truck.
    Storage around here seems to be at a premium.(if you can find it) I've looked at calling some small churches to barter some parking lot space in return for lawn maintenance. I am also going to call property managers to see if they may have a client who would be willing to deal. Any other ideas?
    Any other companies in the same boat out here in DuPage county? Maybe we could join forces. I found an industrial
    building with drive in capabilities with 1400 sq. ft. of space for $750/month. I only need about 600ft.
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Mean Green Machine

Mean Green Machine LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Do u know anything about lescos?

3. 1st impressions

1st impressions LawnSite Member

Mean Green Machine

Know what? Info on Lesco equipment or storage?

4. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I think mean green machine is screwing around. That is the 2nd or 3rd time he has interrupted a thread with that stupid question. Yes there is such a thing as a stupid question, When you ask it in the middle of another discussion.

SJR

5. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Im in the same boat as you. I really can't afford 500 a month rent space. Im thinking about just building a pole barn in the back yd, Right now everything is in the driveway covered.

6. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Take a look into enclosed trailers. I know that may seem unreasonable, but then again its also like a mobile shop where ever you go. Keeps your equipment out of the weather and well protected. Plus, no worries about storage!!!

7. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

i maintain a mall, and cut a deal with them to leave 2 enclosed trailers (rolling billboards) in their parking lot and had no problem. Keep'em locked. That is what insurance is for.

8. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i bought an enclosed trailer for that reason. all my stuff stays locked up out of sight. i know you want to store a truck and more trailers. go to a local lesco, if one, and ask if you can park there. i know a few guys that park their trucks at a local lesco, because they do business there. you could try a self storage place too.

9. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I know of several contractors here locally that use storeage malls as their "garages". I believe the going rate is around $75 per month per unit(10x20) for the smaller ones.

I would also do as mdb suggested and talk with either an elctrical wholesaler who has a pipe yard, possibly a trucking outfit, or even a mechanics garage where you could store your equipment inside of one of the above fenced lots.

I know that people are usually willing to barter as long you are not a threat. Just make sure that you have some means for keeping your equipment under lock and key. You could also check with some of the local residents. I know garage rentals are quite common in our area.

Hope this helps.
    Kris

10. chrisbolte

chrisbolte LawnSite Member

I went with enclosed trailers. Protects equipment and stores parts easily.