equipment suggestions for expanding business?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DJB, Mar 12, 2010.

1. SuperiorService.110mb.com

SuperiorService.110mb.com LawnSite Member

Not for anything New. You can find a good condition 36-52" Stander for that. Something that has minor wear and should only need an oil change if that to get you though the season.

2. Scag413

Scag413 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes it is. Check out the Free Marketplace. I believe there is a guy with a Toro Grandstand near chicago. Also, use the search tool located in the upper right hand side of the forum and search for "grandstand" or "stander"

3. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

look at this little beauty. Went to a greenery show and saw this. It is very comfortable, I could see me riding this all day actually. Snapper pro, Ferris, simplicity, and giant vac are all owned by brigs. Ferris has the same model, but with all wheel suspension. The guy said that most people choose snapper pro over the Ferris model, because the snapper pro handles better. Your seat is on a big spring with a shock. You sit like on a ATV. Your legs are up against foam padding. I really liked the thing. It is a little smaller than a walk behind too. http://www.snapperpro.com/s75x_gallery

S75x.ChuteSide.jpg

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  4. JCLawn and more

from MI

its 6,000 too, starting

5. JCLawn and more

from MI

6. SuperiorService.110mb.com

SuperiorService.110mb.com LawnSite Member

That thing doesn't even look confurtable and I hope you don't ever run into something by acedent looks like you would bust your head of chest bone. And the control levers are to far away and look like they would bounce all around with a little bump. Is that a spinner knob for the deck height?

7. JCLawn and more

from MI

it is actually really comfortable. Would be no different than a stand on as far as controls go.

8. DJB

DJB LawnSite Member

What about safety? Are there issues to be aware of comparing a stander, a walk behind and a ZTR? Is there any agreement on any of the three being more or less safe than another? Also how about speed? Beside width issues which are obvious is there a speed difference?

9. JCLawn and more

from MI

a walk behind is safe if you don't use those carts on them. Then your limited to walking speed. I think a sand on would be as safe as the walk behind with a cart. It don't look safe at 10mph. You can get fast walk behinds. The thing I put up, I don't see how you can fall off, unless you hit a huge limb or something. So all of these can go 10mph or so. Even the walk behind, if you get the right one. I did not like the exmark stand on one. There was nothing keeping you from stepping off the back.

10. clean_cut

clean_cut LawnSite Bronze Member

I would suggest going used if you're starting out, personally I'd buy a walk behind and save $3,000-$4,000 over a ztr or stander. A used walk behind can be easily found for $2,500-$3,000 with low hours (around 100).

About the size, that's up to you, since you already have a few push mowers, you may just want to get a 48",52" or up, and then use the push mowers for gates and back yards.

Also, use the search feature on this site and you can pull up TONS of old info.

I hope I could help, God Bless you and your family!