Equipment Suggestions

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by grassman1, Feb 23, 2006.

1. grassman1

grassman1 LawnSite Member

I am starting a new lawn care service this year and need some advice on purchasing a mower. I have 2 small commercial accounts set-up and a small residential. Initially I would like to have 8-10 residentials to go along with the 2 commercials. Right now I don't have anything larger than 1 acre and don't anticipate anything larger. I have been out shopping and obviously no dealer will give me a fair comparison on various equipment that they don't carry. I'm looking at purchasing a 50"-52' zero turn. The trailer I have is a 8' x 5'. I don't have unlimited funds and would like to keep it at or below $6000. Right now I'm looking at a Dixon Kodiak or a Hustler Mini Z. I would like to purchase new for the warranty.Any guidance would be appreciated.
  2. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

Grassman, do not overlook the Exmark CT if you have a dealer near you. We paid around 5k for ours and love it. It saves time, saved us money, and gives a great cut. It probably would not take the pounding of a everyday full time operation, but it sounds like you do not have that. PR
  3. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

Go with a 48 inch cub you wont go wrong trust me i have been using scag since the 80's an i have tried em all .Scag is the best!!
  4. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

With that number of accounts, i wouldnt monkey with a Z. I'd go with a 48" or so walk behind. Sounds like your puttin the carriage before the horse with a purchase like that. Save your money and build your clientele first. Just my $.02
  5. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Right on the money NEPSJay! I would get a John Deere 7H17 WB (48" deck with 17hp engine). If you do get a walk behind make sure it is a hydro and not belt driven. Belt drives are not nearly as easy to operate, are more time consuming and when it rains you might as well head for the trailer with the belt drives. Trust me, you will not like a belt drive unit and anyone who does this for a living will tell you the same thing.
  6. beautifullawns

beautifullawns LawnSite Senior Member

Get what ever has the best dealer support. If somthing breaks you will need it.
  7. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Haven't had expierence with Dixon in a long time and hear that they have come along way. My preference between the two would be the Hustler. That being said I agree that the place to start would be with a commercial walk behind. If you have gates a 36 if not 48 or 52. You can always add a Z later if your accounts dictate it.
  8. grassman1

Thanks for all the advice. On the lines of a 36", has anyone any experiance with a cub 48 z wing? There is a local dealer who suggested that mower. He states that it is a commercial mower with a 48" deck that will rotate to get through 36" gates. Kind of the best of both worlds???
  9. Jake's Lawn Service

Jake's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I have an exmark Lazer Z CT also. It is a great machine and not too expensive either. I have never had a problem with it yet.
  10. grassman1

Thanks for your input. I was originally planned to start with a 36" WB but as I shopped around the Z's looked like a better way to go. Thanks for putting $2400 in pocket without even the cost of a drop of gas! Do you have any suggestions on a good WB? I was thinking of an Exmark Turf Tracer HP.