Equipment suggestions

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Shady Brook, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I need a good walkbehind spreader. I will be new to the process this spring. After reading a million posts I have narrowed it down to Lesco or Spyker. I can get the Spyker local, but will likely have to go online to order a Lesco.

I am looking at something that will take around 100lb's of material. Stainless, needs not to be self propelled, and would be able to upgrade to a permagreen add on sprayer in the future if I choose to go that way. I saw Spyker for around $300 that had a stainless hopper that really looked neat, but am not familiar enough to know if it is really better then a plastic type.

Any suggestions on particular models would be great. Both companies make a million it seems. I don't want to spend a million, but want to be satified with it for years to come.

Any thoughts on backpack sprayers would be great. Something that will last, that is easy to maintain, and do the job. Seems like the SP's are easy to find and reasonable on the web. I do not know if they are as good as an Echo, or Shin. Any thoughts on particular models, or aspect so look for, ie agitators, types of seals and such would be great.

Thanks a bunch
    Jay

2. Swissmex sp1 sp0

Spiker is what's on my PG, and does a fine job.

I also have several Lesco's.

Local parts can be a huge plus.

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I have a Lesco #80 spreader with deflector and rain cover. It;s stainless and it cost just over $300. Never had any problems with it. The one thing that I learned right away,is not to fill it all the way up. When its full, it will give you a good work-out! I also have a Shindaiwa 4 gallon backpack sprayer and once again , no problems.

4. Shady Brook

from Indiana

I appreciate it fellas!

LG, is the Sp1 and SP0 the same unit, just a later version? I have an old AM Leonard that has the SP1, and my new Northerns have an SP2 and SP0, but not the SP1.

The only difference I see between the SP0 and SP1 list several different features like jet agitation verses manual, and one list a triple function diaphram while the other mentions a sealed external piston. Are there any reasons that I should opt for one model over the other? Sometimes extra features mean more that can go wrong.

Thanks again
    Jay

5. Sorry I ment SP0 and SP2 because you have the choice of jet ag.

I don't remeber which ones I have anymore, the writing has worn off from the sun and cleaning them.

I think I still have an SP1.

If price the SP2 at about $70 will do just fine.

I like the brass wand and nozzels.

SP0 has ag, but good shaken while filling can take care of that.

I fill them mostly out of a nurse tank anyways.

6. Shady Brook

from Indiana

LG

Thanks.

I am looking at a new Northern Catalog, and they have the SP2 for 119 bucks. The SP0 is 129.00 bucks, and lists the jet agitation. Is the Jet agitation that much better?

Do you know where I can find one of these units for $70? That would be awsome.

Northern lists some units by SP I belive called Yard Tenders for $69, and $79. They look alot different then the SP2 and SP0. Woud these work well, or are these not a good choice?

Thanks alot
    Jay

7. The sp0 is the best bang for the bucks. It will also give you great pressure too.

I can't find my "toy" catalog.

8. Shady Brook

from Indiana

LG

If you can find your catalog, and it is really closer to $70, please let me know, or even if you could let me know the name of the catalog, I will track it down. It would be worth saving $60.

Thanks a ton, you have been a great help.

Jay

9. ok I do have sp0, sp2, and the 2510-c171 like what is in Northern, and all of them work great.

I Use the $80 one like in nothern the most.

I think ShurFlo might have their rechargable one out here soon for $120. Constant flow and psi 4 gal cap. Batt powered and weight a little more than a normal back pack.

10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Lesco spreaders go on sale the first week of March, you might consider them.....I am. I think my local dealer sells the stainless (just the handle is, the hopper is plastic) model for something like $330 and will go on sale for $300. If I am not mistaken, the side deflector is standard on this model.

MATT