equipment that breaks down most often?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Feb 21, 2008.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Our PG's break down on a regular basis, but fortunately we have hardware stores nearby.:weightlifter: We also have an aray of other machines, but they don't fail on a regular basis like our PG's. Examples: Spyker, John Deere, Exmark (all last for many years without a breakdown). But we need a breadbasket of spare parts when it comes to our PG' units. That's the fact Jack.

Anybody else experience the same thing?

rscvp, Mason

2. Mr.GreenJeans89

Mr.GreenJeans89 LawnSite Member

American,im getting ready to get a perma green,what can i expect to break down the most on it,this is new to me,ive always hand cranked it(liquid)

3. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

If you are getting buying a PG Magnum you shouldn't have any problems or very few anyway.

I have a PG Mag and will be starting my third season with it. I have probably put about $40 worth parts into it so far!

When you see guys on here talking about working on their PG's all the time, they are talking about older units which are known to have quite a few problems!

The PG Magnum has been improved and updated and most of the problems you see on the older machines has been fixed!

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

My Permagreen Ultra is adequate. Only thing that broke this year was shifter swivel joint. Field repair. 5 minutes. Duct tape held it together for a week until new part arrived. Probably could have got a new one at a mower shop if I had thought about it. Also replaced the starter button with a generic type one night. Started with rope for the rest of that day.

In three years I only had to push it onto the truck once (and I had to ask for help). And that time, I replaced the fouled plug and it started right up--I completed the job.

5. Mr.GreenJeans89

Mr.GreenJeans89 LawnSite Member

Im getting the 08 magnum.Thats the way i was thinking creech that these were older units thats were breaking down and ive heard they improve them every year.Looking forward to getting it.

6. redbuckcavs

redbuckcavs LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I've run the older units and like Rscreech I wil be using my "new" magnum going into the 3rd year with minimul problems (had to replace the transmission that was under warrenty) The BEST thing with the Magnums is it has a Honda engine that almost always starts with one pull. I believe the older units had a sp? "Robbins" engine that caused alot of headaches

7. silverscapes

silverscapes LawnSite Member
    from de

just picked up the new magnum on tues updated foot cushions and spacers on the engine for easy cleaning can't wait to get started:usflag:

8. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

i dunno, maybe you just need to learn to "get along"? and stop bitching???

how's it feel to have your toes stepped on for simply asking a question? know what I mean? like what you did to me on my Customer Service post

knucklehead

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

did a search, good read, but a little testey...

10. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Ohhh the good ol days with Lawn Service....he was a trip!