1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Equipment theft is on the Rise

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Five Star Lawn Care LLC, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I live in SE michigan and in this area in the last year alone we have had 7 companys in the last year get major amounts of equipment stolen... It just pisses me off so bad, i being one of the people that had over $30,000 stolen last july. It seems like pretty much over every holiday weekend when LCOs leave there equipment unattended that one company turns up robbed. ive only been in the business for 5 years but i dont remeber this happening this much ever. Police are not doing anything, they are treating us like someone has came and stole a couple of push mower when most of our riders are worth more 3 out of 5 cars on the road. Does anyone in this area or anywhere notice this treand or is it just me. thanks guys
  2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

sorry u arnt satisfied w the police.
    our locals caught a three county ring about a yr ago. a deputy friend of mine said they had waited until they had the front middle and backend of the whole bunch. found video tape of items wanted and who had put in the order . items stolen, an in their inventory, were all listed neatly.caught the whole bunch except a few that were on vacation ,when the sting went dn . hope they have caught them by now.jus plain did my heart good.:)
  3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

That is happening more and more here. People see something and rather then buy it they just steal it. Nothing like taking someone's tools that allows them to make a livelihood. Great reason to get a very secure storage area if there is such a thing.
  4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

We use this wireless alarm which calls my cell when anyone (even those with codes) enters my builiding .... no monthly cost ....very neat n affordable system for under $250 (cheaper on eBay)
  5. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

Geeez Ram, did the police make a report. If so did you have the serial numbers for your machines to give them to enter into the computer. If you did then the police are doing something.

It nevers ceases to amaze me that when I (the police) are called to a situation like this if we dont locate and arrest the bad guy within 24 hours we are accused of not doing anything. I know its frustrating but my question to you and everyone else that post here is; what have you done to reduce the chance of becoming a victim, if you've done all you possibly could then it was very unfortunate that you had your equipment stolen.

I along with about 5 other cops I work with own our own lawn services. And believe it or not one of them parked his trailer on his dealers lot to have his machines serviced and guess what, he's now minus 2 scag tigers. Yep even the police do silly things.

Ram be patient, my guess is that they will show up sooner or later. I and the others who have our own services are pretty good about stopping some of these fly by night lawn services; and believe me you dont have to be a genius to spot these guys, and recovering stolen property. As a matter of fact our auto theft unit here in st. louis uncovered such a big lawn equipment theft ring that they've been working on it for at least the last 10 months and are still recovering stuff.

My advise is to periodically contact the detective assigned to your case, ask if there has been any other of the same type of thefts in your area. Keep your ears open when your at your dealership and around other lawn care professionals. Sometimes you hear talk about how someone heard they got such n such mower real cheap from someone. And when you hear something, pass it on to the detective because you never know, it might be that little bit of info he needs to make the case.

Good luck,

Steve Renfro
    First Capitol Lawn Care