Equipment theft

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by prizeprop, Feb 11, 2004.

1. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone run into problems with equipment theft?Big problem here in central New Jersey,a lot of the landscapers in the area are getting hit by thieves.Most of the items are 2 cycle equipment thet can easily be carried away,however they go through a lot to get to them,such as cutting chains on gates,moving trucks and trailers that have been backed up to sheds and garages etc. Would appreciate some feed back and possible solutions other than sitting in my tree stand all night with my gun.
    Also, if anyone knows of possible locations this type of equipment might be re-sold,auction,flee markets, out of state maybe. Any discussions would be good since I know this is probably common in certain areas. THANKS

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

"knock of wood" Haven't had the problem yet and I hope that I don't have to have the problem. I feel that more than likely the theft would use them for business themselves or try to trade them in at dealers. There is even a chance on E-bay that they might sell them.

We had a bad theft problem, not with mowers but snowmobiles and ATV's here about 2 months ago. Whoever did it took approx 7 snowmobiles and 1 ATV that I know of, from 4 properties in one night. It was all within a mile radius too.

3. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

All you can do is secure it the best way you know how. If they want it they are going to get it. I have all of my stuff in the garage at home and while working everything is under lock and key. If they cut it they get it.

P.S. Keep your insurance up to date and hope they don't steal from you.

Tim

4. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Set the trap and when they bite, do what you have to do. I'm sick and tired of the human garbage in our society getting off easy for property crimes.

5. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

you know i met a guy last season that had 2 walkers on a trailer behind a van. On this trailer was a Green Machine curved shaft line trimmer. I asked why do you spend so much money on mowers and use a line trimmer like that. His reply was.......

It is bait and they steal about 2 per season. The good stuff is in the van.....

Smart guy!!!!!!!!!!

he buys them at yard sales for 5 bucks or so when they don't run. He puts new line on them and about every 3 weeks he cuts off the faded line to reveal the bright orange line so they think it runs.

Damn smart guy!!!!

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

pretty smart idea blades

7. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell me whats missing in the area, I'm up North, they might be bringing the stuff up this way to sell to people.

8. prizeprop

Four stihl backpack blowers and three red max hedge trimmers.I'll try to post the serial #'s when i get a chance,police report not at this location. thanks

9. prizeprop

pretty much as far as the rest of the guys- backpacks weedwackers cutoff saws etc.one guy two years ago had his truck hooked to the enclosed trailer and backed it against a building. well that didnt stop them, they disconnected the trans linkage from under the truck,put it in nuetral and rolled the truck out of the way and stole the whole trailer.unfortunately he had a 52" rider and walk behinds and the misc. 2 cycle$25,000 total. it's crazy!!!!!!!!!

10. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I agree. I had some equipment stolen from me a few years ago. I had a good idea who stole it so i let the police know who i thought would be a good suspect to start off with. Never heard anything else about it. The main problem is most of the police want to look the other way, esp the ones around here, because it would just be too much paperwork for them. Then if by some chance the thief does get caught, the court system just slaps them on the hand, appologizes for doing that and send the criminals back out into society, where they steal from you again.