Equipment upgrade from home depot????

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevenf, Jul 28, 2007.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Looking to start small with upgradeing. Starting with a trimmer, a stick edger, and a blower, then move on to the bigger equipment.
    Ive heard home depot stuff is crap. What about the cheap echos from homedepot? right now I have a homelite handheld blower that is getting the job done ok, But I want a backpack blower. A huge upgrade from what I have is the echo pb-265L (145mph).
    Also, Ive heard that things with attatchments are crap, What about the echo trimmer with edger attatment?

to sum it up. do the cheap echos last just as long as the expensive, Just not performing the same?

2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I can get a SRM251 at my dealer for less money then a 230 at Home Depot.

3. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

It will last as long as you take care of it ...Those Echo machines are tough and will last for years with proper care. You can upgrade as you grow.

4. Mancinioldhorse

Mancinioldhorse LawnSite Member

you can cut corners on some machines but you get what you pay for in the end...90% of what lowes or home depo carries are homeowner grade...in other words meant to be used once a week at best.

With a little maintenance attention you can use the same commercial gear for several years, where the box store stuff will be lucky to last 1 season.

As for the echo stuff...I have (all commercial grade) an echo chainsaw that is bullet proof...I love it...I have an echo back back blower that I'd trade for a gas can...I hate it...it's less than a year old and has given me nothing but grief from day 1...I don't think it has ever started under less than 10 pulls, it starves for fuel or floods itself...no in between. I've had several repair shops look at it and they can't figure it out. I have a John deere hand held and a shindawa hand held that I will use before I break out the echo any more just because it's such a pita.

all that said...If I had to start over new, I would never scrimp on my main equipment:nono: . good commercial grades for my main mower, trimmers, edger, You can get away with a used or older vehicle, and used or lesser grade back ups, but you want dependability for your main equipment.

don't pay any attention to the man behind the curtain!;)

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I run the echo form depot. have 1 line trimmer that's on it's 9th year

6. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

I have got the most $$ echo trimmer and blower at home depot three years ago when I stated and they are still on my trailer being worked everyday and fall. first pull on the blower everytime. I do have a remax blower I got used this year for a backup thinking my echo will crap out soon but......... not yet. IMO starting out that echo from depot woulnd be fine.

7. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

The SMR-210 & 230 trimmers from Home Depot are actually good units. Not as much power as the 260's but they last every bit as long. For regular trimming those machines work just fine.

The 413T backpack blowers are also decent machines for blowing grass clippings from walks and driveways. Probably not going to be great for fall cleanups but for clippings they work fine.

Stay away from the PE-200 edger from Home Depot, just not enough power to cut a decent edge.

8. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

10. caddman27

caddman27 LawnSite Member

I've had good luck with the Husky's from Lowes. Just ordered my first piece of commecial equipment. We'll see how the ole Tanaka does.