1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Equipment upgrades!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Tom c., Oct 21, 2006.

1. Tom c.

Tom c. LawnSite Member

Hey fellas Ive been doing lawncare for a few years. My equipment consists of a 03 dodge 4x4 p/u, a 05 open trailer, a 05 36in bobcat w/b belt drive, 2 string trimmers and 2 blowers and 2 21in mowers. I maintain 15-18 residential properties avg size 5-10k sg ft. This I do part time. :hammerhead: Im probably gonna get a medium size commercial property in the spring[ it takes about 3-4 hrs to cut and trim].All my equipment is paid off except for the truck and the mower. The mower will be paid off in the spring. Im thinking of adding a zero turn to my equipment. I have ;) 6-8 residentials and the commercial i could use it on. I dont have alot of overhead [ i work out of my home] .Do you think I should go for the zero or would a 48 in w/b be a better choice. I kinda thought sittin and cruisin will make the job easier. PS Im gonna go full time next year. Thanks for any input;)
  2. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

Being that there are only a few lawns you could use one on you may be better off going with a 52" or 60" walk-behind, unless you want to sit down on the job. But for residential a w/b is a little faster due to all she smaller things you need to work around(the air conditioner, downspouts, small trees, landscaping, etc.). I know gravely makes a real productive w/b that runs at 8 mph, one of the fastest w/b out there.
  3. hornett22

hornett22 LawnSite Senior Member

i agree. a good 60" hydro walkbehind with a stand on sulky will cut better and faster than a rider.i'd only get a rider if i was doing large expanses of grass. ZTRs do not belong on 95% of residential lawns.we get new accounts all the time because poeple are tired of the damage done by ZTRs.they are heavy,leave tracks,don't mow well on hills,and they get stuck or cause alot of damage in damp areas.not to mention guys get hauling ass on them and don't look where they are going.
  4. Mow"N"Bud

Mow"N"Bud LawnSite Member

For me with 200+ accounts and 187 of them are residentail I suggest a 48" hydro walk-behind. With any mower with a big deck there are places I couldn't get a 52 or 60" deck into. Personally my Lawn Service uses the Snapper Hydros with the accutrac, because you don't have to use the controls as much on hills, pond, ditch, and creek banks. Demo one. I think you will love them. Plus after 2 seasons on mine with almost a 1000 hours on each they have been bullet proff, and zero problems.

Good luck
  5. hornett22

hornett22 LawnSite Senior Member

also,the smaller the deck,the better they cut.
  6. Tom c.

Tom c. LawnSite Member

Are hydros really that much better than belts? Im gonna demo a 48in hydro in the spring and was wondering if it si that much better. Your feed back is appreciated :walking:
  7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

its like night and day. Hydros are much faster, no belts slipping, and you can actually back up. Not to mention that a belt drive isnt a true zero turn.
  8. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

I too think that if you are planning on getting a lot of residentials, get a 48 or 52" hydro WB. I have only had hydros but if you are mowing alot of residentials, you will be backing up ALOT. For me, I do not think I could get by with a belt drive because not having a true reverse would be unacceptable due to having alot of small yards. Get the WB with a sulky and walk the really small yards and ride the larger yards. Also, if you are just starting out, there is NO need to go out and drop 5 grand or more on a zero turn. This is a problem I think alot of LCOs get into when just starting out. Get a barely used 48/52 hydro WB for less than 3 grand and you will surely be happy you did.