Equipment values - blue books?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jasond, Aug 16, 2003.

1. jasond

jasond LawnSite Member

I apologize for possible posting this in the incorrect forum. If it doesn't belong, please place it where it needs to be.

Are there any publications available to determine the value of the equipment we use?

I have tried having my Walker dealer/salesman give me an idea of what my machine is worth, with all of the attachments...but I really feel like the price he gave me is something of a trade in price. Maybe since he is thinking that I am going to sell, that I might as well trade it in for that price, or that he can flip it and sell it to someone else in the area? I put a new engine in this past spring, and he stated that it made no difference on the price of the machine...and that attachments (millcreek aerator, dethatcher, 25 gallon tank sprayer, no-catch deflector, donaldson air filter upgrade, etc etc etc) really don't help increase the price either. For a machine with only 1012 hours, I feel like his price just doesn't sound/seem right. Does this sound like bologna to you?

If there is a reference or publication available, please post here.

Keep it green! Thanks.

2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Jason,

Did you try here?

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

4. GLAN

GLAN Banned

What price did he give you with the attachments? What size deck?

5. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

If the attachments don't bring the value up (BS) then trade it in without them, and sell them else where, ebay, maybe. You might go on ebay, see what they are going for, sell it with the attach. or seperately.
    Crawdad

6. jasond

jasond LawnSite Member

Well,

The salesman said that the machine was worth $3200.00. I had to laugh, cause the engine alone was $2850.00 last October (and the machine has only accumulated 250 hrs since.)

The Walker has a 42" GHS deck. I just rebuilt the deck drive due to the seals starting to leak.

The tank sprayer was around 700.00, the aerator was around $800.00, the dethatcher was around $200.00, and I couldn't even value the extra belts, wheels, tires, blades, and other attachments.

I really feel like this salesman/dealer are taking advantage of the situation. A lot of small guys in the area are hurting, and fall is right around the corner. Plus, equipment sales are really slow...he admitted that this past spring after the big pro week sales show at the fairgrounds. I hate to say this, but I don't trust him or the owner, but they are the only Walker dealer in this local area.

Thanks for the links...I will try and research what its worth. If anyone has bought/sold a Walker lately, I would appreciate the advice. Machine has 1012 hours, new complete 20HP engine at 779 hours along with the new Donaldson filtration kit (about $400.00) 42 GHS deck, good condition.

I feel like the machine is worth about $4500 and the accessories are another $1K. What do you guys think???

7. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

Jasond -

Who is your local dealer? I have bought from Barnhill......is there someone else in the area?

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You didn't say what year your Walker is but trade on 20 horse 42" GHS is about as follows:

1 year = $3500 off what you paid
    Every year after that looses $500

Your attachments if used aren't worth much

9. 44toy

44toy LawnSite Member

Alot of prices are pulled out of thin air. I was at a equipment sale last month, sale prices of machines sold were as follows (best i can remeber.

42" side discharge walker 20 hp kohler ----------------------$2100
    42 chopper )homeowner version i think)----------------------$2250
    50" Gravely w/b 18hp Kohler hydro no battery--------------$500
    48" bunton single belt drive 14 hp jungle wheels w seat--$700
    61 or 72 yazhoo real nice 87 model? hydro nice!------------$500
    50"? grasshopper 20 kohler very decent----------------------$2200?
    50"? " " good codition-----------------$2500
    ? " John deere 935" little ruff looking 2or3 cyl diesel?------$950?
    72" hustler very good condition----------------------------------$1500?

I didnt write down prices but am pretty sure about bunton,gravely,walker,yazhoo,and one of the grasshoppers, I was thinking about buying them. just heard the gavel fall on the others and said huh?