1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Equipment who uses what and why?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husker1982, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering what all of you use to cut with list it all from trimmers to tractors. Tell why you prefer that equipment and lets start debating a little about why we prefer it.

I Have:
    2 John Deere 757's
    1 John Deere HD45
    1 Exmark Lazer
    John Deere whippers and blowers
    Red Max whippers and blowers

I use to use all Exmark and Redmax equipment but have switched to John Deere. I am a John Deere fanatic and finally switched now that they make most of their own equipment. I am happy with my decision and hopefully will have all JD equipment to start the 2003 season.
  2. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I'd say the dealer is 50% of the decision and the equipment is 50%.

I'd love to try Hustler mowers, but without a dealer close by, no dice.

When the eXmark dealer promises same day service, in-stock or next day parts AND a free loaner if needed, your decision becomes easy.
  3. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

To me the dealer is only about 20% of the decision because if the machine is a quality unit the dealer is not needed as much. Also I do most of my repairing my self and hold a lot of parts on hand here to be ready. So i would say that it isn't really 50/50 but more like 80/20.
  4. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Dealer is a huge part of my decision. My dealer is top notch and he and his mechanics go out of there way to get me back out on the road as soon as possible when I have a problem. Probly one of the big reasons im holding on to my Dixie chopper that im not all that thrilled with....... no local Hustler dealers and im not all that fond of the exmark dealers in my area.
  5. G. Moose

G. Moose LawnSite Member

Pissing match? Why not......We use all Scag for our big mowers- nothing else compares- and two little 21" John Deeres for trimming. But we don't like them very much....kinda wimpy. We'll probably ditch 'em when they croak and get some Hondas or Toros. 2-cycle....all Echo....great quality and lots of dealers in the area. Trucks? Well, right now we use Powerstrokes-my partner likes them alot and we have a good dealer, but I keep pushing to switch to Dodge Cummins- I think they last longer and are more fuel efficient. Nothing wrong with the Fords though....Just my hundred bucks........
  6. Nelson

Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

I am with Evan 528,

My dealer graduated with me...... We have a good relationship...

He really is a good guy & he gives me good prices on Toro

I respect that, so that's why I keep going back.....

He rubs my back & I rub his...........:sleeping:
  7. r.eckley

r.eckley LawnSite Member

Toro Large mowers
    Dixon small mower. Hydros really not a bad small mower.
    United Expressline Trlr.
  8. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

Toro mowers and echo hand held. I have found Toro to be a great balance being priced better than some and cutting as good or better than any thing I've seen.I have considered Walker but are priced a little out of my league for the time being.I would like to see the cut left by exmark and scag but everybody that uses them around here plays the "who can cut the fastest" game and niether has impressed me so far . As for my hand held equipment I use echo and echo only.I tried another brand once and learned my lesson quick. The funny thing is that the brand I tried was more expensive than echo so it wasen't a tough call. I won't mention the brand it was as it seems very popular in this forum and I don't feel like being attacked let's just say it was junk. I will add that my echo's wouldn't be anything without Opti 2 and Oregon nylium starline.
  9. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

nelson- is that all your rubing.. heheh
  10. Nelson

Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Be nice........

This is not MR. Magoo's......:drinkup: