Equipment

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by turf dog, Oct 14, 2005.

1. turf dog

turf dog LawnSite Member

Starting new in the business. I have $12,000 to start up with. I already own a z71 gmc. How much should I allocated for equipment and what kind? And how much for advertising? I will be doing mostly residential and some light commercial. This will be my primary source income so I want to do right. I have owned my own business in sales for the last 5 years and selling it next month.

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

First, try to keep the other business till you get going in this or if you want out in a year. What type of business is it?

A lot depends on what type of lots you will work on but a good hydro W/B is a good unit to start with and than a trimmer, edger, blower and your off.
    You will never stop buying, I'm over $250K and still needing stuff.

Oh yea, I forgot. Gas can , trailer, trimmer rack, spare tire, trimmer line, edger blades. mower blades, safety glasses, hand tools, tie downs, oil and grease, 21" mower, grass catcher, garbage cans, 2cyl. oil, gas can for 2 cyl. oil, rake. broom, dust pan, garbage bags, first aid kit, rain suit, ear plugs, hat for sun, sun screen, water jug and rack, gloves, hedge trimmers, ladder, bigger trailer, Zturn, another W/B, more tie downs, leaf blower and vac and trailer to hold leaves, shovels, steel rake, chain saw, tree trimmer, aerator, ect.ect.ect.:

Start with business cards and flyers. and again the skys the limit.

3. turf dog

turf dog LawnSite Member

I am selling my insurance agency for a good chunk of change. I just priced a new walker 18hp 42" deck for $8,600, shindawa trimmer $350, shindawa backpack blower $480, and a used 18' 4 sided texas braggs trailer 11 months old for $1,800. Do these prices seem in line? Because other dealers are to far of a drive for service.

4. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

First off why would you want to get out of the ins. business for this? Have you ever ran this type of equipment before? Do you have any experience? If so then great. But if not then my advise to you is sell your ins. business for "a big buck" then get a job with a local lawn care company first.

5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

if your heart is set on doing this, id save as much of that money as i could, do as suggested get a walk behind , its the most versital, trimmer blower trailor and all the accessories, and build a client base. Do some advertising in the spring and see where it goes. Many areas are so oversaturated with lco's that its nearly impossible to compete, some areas its better.....

After you build up some customers start buying newer and bigger equipment and always try and keep low as possible overhead, you can bet your competition does....

dont expect to make alot of money the first couple of years, yes some do very well right off the bat, but most start out not making alot

good luck

6. PMLAWN

To each his own on equipment as most of the commercial stuff will give good service. I have never used a Walker but I hear that they give a great cut and bag well. I know that they cost more than some others in the same size.
    The prices you give sound OK if your getting the larger models.
    The trailer, I have no clue what that is.
    If it is an open trailer that sounds a little high and low for an enclosed.
    I looked at a trailer with Texas in the name and the thing had round tubes for the rails. Strong, but a pain to bolt racks to. If you are getting an open trailer go with flat rails so everything bolts right up.

BUT, I know 3 insurance agents and they all do very well (they should as I write over $25000.00 to them each year), Are you sure you want out. Can you do both. You went through a lot to get the license so don't give it up easy.
    Good luck with your choice.

7. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Put the 12 grand in a good Mutual Fund and keep your old job or find something else to do.

8. turf dog

turf dog LawnSite Member

Thanks,

I appreciate everybody's advice. People think I am crazy for selling my insuracne agency. The truth of the matter is I am totaly miserable and I hate insurance companies, I am tired of selling their products and customers giving me their total trust to take care of them and the insurance companies don't uphold their end of the deal and I look bad. After the sell of my agency I will have enough money to live comfortable for 3 years without working. When I was in college I worked for a lawncare company for 3 summers and loved it. The craziest part is I am at my happiest when I am outside in the sun working and sweating. Again thank you for all the advice.

9. PMLAWN

Get your business policy and lib. insurance before you shut down. You can save some money. Those ins. agents are like vultures, --JK:D