Equipment

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by njsnakeman, Jul 16, 2007.

1. njsnakeman

njsnakeman LawnSite Member

I'm going solo for the first year, cutting mostly residential lawns... any suggestions on equipment, as far as WB and ZTRs? I already have a couple 22" WB, but I'm trying to look for something a little bigger to get the job done faster.

Advice on types of Trimmers? Edgers? Blowers?

Thanks,
    Brandon

2. KeepOnCuttin

KeepOnCuttin LawnSite Member

Depends on the size of lawns you service. We only have a handful less than 1 acre, so I'm always on a 60inch ztr. If you have alot of fenced in backyards look into a 36 or 52 WB depending on your needs. Nothing but stihl blowers and trimmers here....good dealer support.

3. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

What is your budget for equipment?

If you have few or no gated backyards, I think 44 or 48" is a great size for residential stuff.

4. njsnakeman

Actually, quite a few homes around here do have gates and fences. I was thinking of spending 4,000-5,000 in equipment to start off with.. that includes a trailer, mowers, trimmers, edgers, trashcans, gas cans, etc.

5. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

For that ball park range, you'll need to start off with used equipment !!

6. njsnakeman

how much would a 44-48" cost, new? couldn't I lease?

7. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

I just started this year with the equipment in my sig for about a total of $7000.

The Quick 36 was used and I got it for $1100 w/a grass catcher. All the tools (Kombi, chainsaw, trimmers) and also the trailer were new. The truck I bought used for $2200.

I love my setup. It works perfect for servicing the standard residential yard 10,000 sqft or smaller. And I have room for all the other money making tools like hedge trimmers and cultivators. And when I come home all I have to do is park the trailer on the street and forget it. Cant beat an enclosed trailer!

Depends what you want to do. If you want to service larger properties you'll need a larger mower for sure and also a bigger trailer than what I have.

8. fiveoboy01

48" dual hydro, floating deck will run you in the neighborhood of 4500-5000+, depending on engine choice and of course brand.

Keep your eyes peeled, many companies offer financing specials with 0% interest for a certain term. That is how I purchased both my walk-behinds, and just paid them off before the promotional period ended.

9. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a new 48" Exmark Turf Tracer HP with an electric start, 19HP Kawasaki engine, stand-on sulky, mulch kit, and hour-meter and it cost $6850 included sales tax. Good equipment isn't cheap.

10. fiveoboy01

Ouch, equipment must run more over there. I got the exact same setup for 5800 including the tax...