Equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by spx0567, Dec 4, 2002.

1. spx0567

spx0567 LawnSite Member

Okay, so I have like 5 lawns at the end of the season, I think its been a pretty good year, at least for a 15 year old ya know, I know this doesnt compare to what you guys have. Anyways.... I have been mowing with a self propelled 21", ITS TERRIBLE. I used my neighbors Encore 48" a few times, and it was so much better. But he knows someone who is getting out and doesnt want to take his workload, and he knows that my friend and I do that, so he offered it to us. My neighbor is getting out in a few years too, and he has about 30 lawns, so in 2-3 years, we will have 45 lawns or so, possible more. My question is what kind of equipment should we get. I was thinking something along the lines of an Encore Hydro 52" and 32", and then a Stihl FS 85R trimmer, and BG85 Blower. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    Josh

2. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Josh - the sooner you can purchase commercial equipment, the faster you will earn more money. What to buy now depends on your work load and your cashflow.

3. Josh

As much better then that encore is then that 21 ,Well a exmark or scag will be that much better then that encore.
    And the sthil fs 85 is excellent i dont know about that blower though id get at least br400.

4. spx0567

spx0567 LawnSite Member

I was thinking the eXmark too. Is the BR400 a backpack?? I dont know if I want a backpack or not, but I will probably end up getting one because of the better performance

5. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes it's the best damn back blower ever. And I am also 15 and just starting out. Igot a snapper 48" hydro and I love it it's the best ever and @ a good price the greatdane wb's are about the same price but, i like the scamper most if you can find one (old model) good luck!

6. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

Guys I just turned 19 i've been cutting lawns since I was 13. I only have 15 customers but that is because I wasn't sure that i was going to do this for a living. So this year was my first full flegded effort. Sthil backpacks are good but echo and redmax are more powerfull, handhelds hurt your sholder and hands after a while. I used 2 21" this year and i'm sick of it I will soon be getting a 36" hydro-exmark with a flex-deck so I can get threw fences! But all I have to say do your research on equpiment buy only what you need, and MAKE SURE YOUR PRICE IS RIGHT!

7. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

I think the only differance between the Stihl BG65 hand held and the 85 is no greater hp ,its just that the 85 comes with a vac bag and has the shredder kit already installed and its to small to make any time sucking leaves and gets you very dirty and dusty.

The only thing I found its good for is window wells.

8. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

im not sure of the size lawns you are mowing, but i recommend getting the widest mower you can afford. When i started out, i bought a 48 inch scag belt drive walkbehind. After one season of mowing, i decided to take the plunge and buy a 60 inch lazer. Now i find the scag just sits in the trailer. I can put the lazer anywhere i could put the scag, except for hills, but none of my properties have steep enough hills for it. i understand your probably not ready for a rider yet, but the wider mower you get, the more productive you will be. If you have the cash, definately go hydro too.