Equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bballdogg20, Nov 6, 2004.

1. bballdogg20

bballdogg20 LawnSite Member

Hey all...I just started posting on here, looks like a great site. I am going to start a lawn business next year with somewhere in between 30-50 jobs. Although i already have about 20 jobs lined up, i have not bought my equipment yet. I am on limited funds...only about $5000 to start. I plan on upgrading and/or getting more equipment very quickly as soon as a get the ball rolling and money starts coming in. Any ideas on what to get to start off?

2. ICE

ICE LawnSite Member

Hey Balldogg, I am out here in Candor, NY. Just started this year, although my timming pretty much sucked. I started in mid July due to lack of better judgement and LOTS of hesitating. But once I got in it, it went fairly well. Although I only have two accounts, they both want me back next year and I know I will have plenty more once spring rolls around! :waving: Advertise early and often and do your best work and you will be rewarded with plenty of word of mouth advertising as well. If ya need anything, let me know!

3. Ability

Ability LawnSite Member

It really depends on what kind of accounts you have. Yard size and layout really dictate the equipment.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

my advice to you is to start out slowly and not in very much, if any, debt at all.

5. brinlee lawn

brinlee lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I Feel The Same As Tiedman Start Out Slow And Dont Go In Debt On Equipment

6. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

well if you all ready have a truck or van or something then you are good to go! just buy a 36 in cut mower or bigger depending on what size lawns you have. new 36" $2,300 or so then buy all your standerd piece equipment! new commercial quality will only do! i dont recomend buying used unless its from some one you know or something, poeple love to sell junk equipment off to rookies who dont know any better!

7. bballdogg20

Thanx for all the help guys...its nice to know someone is in a similar boat as me, Ice. Just so you guys know, all my accounts are residential for now...i figure i'd start out with those and maybe the next year i could work in some commercial accounts. Thanx again for the feedback!

8. ICE

ICE LawnSite Member

Where in Vestal are you mowing? Do you already have a trailer? Other equipment? I used to run with a crew and we did a couple places in Vestal. One behind the high school, near the church, and the other one was up behind the Yesterdays restraunt. And did the Denny's restraunt up on the parkway by BU. Most of the accounts that we did were Endicott/JC and couple of local areas.
    What services are you going to offer? I offer mowing, spring/fall/storm cleanups, light prunning. I am pretty much done for the year. Not even one call for fall cleanups. ;) Next year! :blob3: If you got any questions, PM me. Take care, Tim.

9. bballdogg20

I mow all over Vestal, but many of my jobs are up behind the Target shopping center. I've been mowing my 5 or 6 lawns using just a standard push mower and edger. I don't have a trailor yet but i think i may be getting one from my uncle for a very discounted price (about $150 brand new). I will be offering the same services as you...mowing, spring/fall cleanup, light trimming, and perhaps even fertilizing/seeding and aerating. Sorry to hear about the lack of fall cleanups lol...better luck next year!

10. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a used 48" belt drive mower last fall and used it for this year and mowed about 800 lawns with it. It was only $1000 and I feel if i wanted to I could sell it for at least $800 now. This fall I got a 60" ztr and It is a lot nicer but I agree that you should start small and work your way up. I mowed 2 years with a 21". The only downside to a 48" is it won't fit though all gates like a 36" will. But if you have 19 lawns with out gates and 1 with either don't take on that house or just use a 21" mower and the extra time it took you will be less than if you mowed everything with a 48". What size are your lots? Most of mine are about .3 acre to .75 that I did with the 48"