Equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Toy2, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay folks, Great site!! Glad I found it!

Here it goes: Please help!

I'm am opening my own business, tired of all the crap when you work for the "man".

Equipment I have right now:
    Sears riding mower 42"
    push mover 21"
    Blower
    Trimmer
    I am buying a 6x12 enclosed trailer to haul the stuff, plus extra, trimmer, blower and Sears self propelled mower 21" Pulling it all with a Tacoma V6.

My question is: Should I invest in another type of mower? I noticed all the big mowers on this site////not sure what direction to take.
    Also, some company on the web is marketing info on "How to own your own landscape business", cost is $70.00///Is this info worth the cost? Thanks from Texas :)

2. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Yes some commercial equipment. Any brand of commercial brand equip would be better than home owner equipment.

3. Brianj

Brianj LawnSite Member

yes buy a commerial mower if u can afford one, my start with a walk behind, if u cut about 10 yards a day with the sears mowers it just about 3 days u have but a whole season on it what homeowner what do.yea the 70.00 is probably worth it.. and learn all u can from this site

4. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

What is your realistic plan. Are you wishing to go full time or part time. Is your area able to support a customer base equal to your plan? Is competition tough or low in your area? You must ask yourself these and many more simular questions before you take action on your plan development. Of course you can increase your chances of success by investing in more competitive equipment, namely and decent commercial mower. I would suggest a 36" walk behind as I beleive they are one of the most versitile, however you must decide based on the yards you gain. Commercial equipment for commercial use is the best way to go. I wouldnt spent $70 on a book on how to run a lawncare biz, never had & never will. The search fuction here will give you all the reading you can do in a lifetime or two. Why make some guy rich when you can get all the info you need for free. Send me the $70 bucks and I will send you a fancy diploma you can hang on your wall. :)

5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Scrap the enclosed trailer, and use that money to get a cheaper open trailer and use the difference towards a commercial mower (a good commercial walk behind will be more productive then your riding mower).

And skip the online business package!!! This site is FREE and you will learn REAL LIFE stuff here. Not a bunch of crap from some guy that's just selling a business package with no real experience.

Just use the heck out of the SEARCH button and start reading. Good luck.

6. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the info, these site is awesome...

I have done my own yard and in-laws for years, I do take pride in my work, and I am jumping into this head first, just need to get the right ducks in a row.

I will look for the right mower, I am giving myself 3 weeks to get this stuff and then hit it.

The companys in town are really booked with work, new housing going up daily, so I know work is out there.

Thanks Folks for the info.

7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't buy a buch of equipment before you know you can make this business happen. Add slowly. Although others may disagree, I think the enclosed trailer is a very good investment. I wish I had bought an enclosed trailer because of the toll that the weather has taken on my stuff and I have to unload and store it in the garage if I want it out of the weather.

Scrap the 42" Sears. I wouldn't use that on a residential lawn or even a business lawn unless it were an industrial type business where cosmetics have no value because customers don't come there.

The good thing is that you have a 21". You can duplicate the cut of a commercial mower with a 21", it will just take you longer. This is what I did on my residential lawns for years (and yes, it took forever), but the lawns were beautiful. For this reason, I too feel that a commercial wb would be a wise next investment.

8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

******, the only reason I advise against the enclosed trailer is because it's a luxury. I'm assuming money is an issue, and a good mower is much more important then a luxury like an enclosed trailer.
    And the reason I assumed money is an issue is because he hadn't mentioned a commercial mower anywhere in his plans.
    If he can afford both a commercial mower AND an enclosed trailer then by all means go for it.
    But if limited to one or the other.........

9. nriddle77

nriddle77 LawnSite Senior Member

Forget the marketing info. You'll learn much more for free just by reading here on LS. Also, you may be able to find a good deal on a used wb by reading in the Equipment Marketplace here on LS.

10. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

Check Out HUSTLER,,,they have a pretty good fiance program right now :waving: :waving: