Equiptment for first year?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by precisionlawn, Jan 10, 2003.

1. precisionlawn

precisionlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Im starting in business this year. I already have a truck and a 6'x10' trailer. I have roughly $3000, and i need equiptment! What would some of you suggest i can get in this price range?
    Oh and i have a trimmer and edger as well. I really want a 48" walkbehind mower, a backpack blower. and what ever else i need.
    What im really asking is what is the best equiptment i can get for $3000. other than trimmer, edger, truck, and trailer?

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

You can either price shop e-bay and the like for a 48" that suits your needs or you can start out with a brand spankin new 36" that shouldnt have any probs unless you cause them -LOL!!!

You will also need to get insurances, and a line trimmer as well in addition to your mower.

3. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

3000 will buy a lesco w/b and money left over for blower.

4. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't spend all your money right away. Save some for gas and misc. expenses, as you may not have any money coming back into your business right away. You should always keep a reserve for "just in case ".

5. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

I'd say look for a good used Walkbehind mower, or look at a small new 36inch mower. A backpack blower is gonna cost around $400, some you can get alittle cheaper, but thats about how much I paid. But like the others said above don't spend all the money right away, have alittle left over, never know what could break or if you need something else for the biz.
    Good luck
    Matt

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Maybe concider a good handheld blower this time. It will cost about 1/3 the price of a backpack. A 48" was my first choice also. Just keep looking, you"ll find one.

7. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know if you want to go into any debt, but several manufacturers offar from 90days to 1 year same as cash financing. Then you wouldn't tie up all of your money right away. Just remember when you use financing you do have to pay it back eventualy.:(

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

For around $2300 you can get a brand new eXmark metro 36" belt drive. Full warrenty and you should have no downtime while your getting started. You have the money left over for a backpack blower.

9. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

Started with a used Torr 44" walkbehind I bought for $700. That was 6 years ago and the deck gave out last year. Best $700 dollars I ever spent. Picked up another used 44" Torro Two seasons ago for $900 and it looks like that will be anothe long lasting machine. Both machines run and cut better than my 50" Gravley that I bought new for $2500 a couple years ago. Just shop around for some good used mowers. However I do suggest you buy your blower and edger new, I haven't had much luck with used ones. Good luck!

10. Strawbridge Lawn0

Strawbridge Lawn0 LawnSite Member

I would consider financing 1-2K and get a new machine. Size is based on your current/future customer base. Typically a 36 or 48 will fit most needs.

:eek:ys of good machines out there. Exmark, Toro, Scag and so forth. Try the one that best fits you.

Payments now a days are really low 100-150 p/mo over 24 mos.

Best to you
    SL&L