1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Equiptment for startup

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Hopper1124, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Hopper1124

Hopper1124 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

What is the best equipment for a startup Lawn fertilization Company, Residential lawns mainly. I need suggestions and web site if you know of any? What is better a Pickup truck with the tank in the back or a enclosed van? What do you guys mainly have?
    Thanks for any respones
  2. ToniDavies

ToniDavies LawnSite Member

:p Most companies are using a truck mount sprayers, however van mount units are getting very popular so you can hide your spray unit out of site for people who are opposed to chemical usage. However a van mount unit would have to be 12 volt operated as you don't want the gasoline fumes in there,
    With a truck mount unit you have more versatility with a gas powered unit being able to run at higher pressure when needed.
    The most popular unit we sell is our 200 gallon skid mount unit that fits in the back of a 3/4 pickup truck with the Honda engine and Hypro D30 pump

Good Luck, and if you have any more equipment questions please do not hesitate to email me toni@rittenhouse.ca
  3. Hopper1124

Hopper1124 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

What is the cost of what you just described to me?
  4. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Vans are not a very good idea. If you have an accident, you'll be covered in chemicals. Also, you'll never be able to breathe because of all the chemicals. You can't keep the back sqeaky clean all the time and all it takes with some products is just a small amount to get into your breathing environment to impair your judgement and endanger your life. Think it over.
  5. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Make sure you have a pollution endorsement added to the
    commercial auto policy. One car crash, ruptured tank etc and
    you will be up the you know what without you know what.

Check out the numerous court cases where lawn care companies thought they were covered and found out they werent.
  6. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

We use the lesco tanks. Mainly cuz we have two dealers within 15 miles of use. Parts are very easy to come by. If one lesco does not have them then the other does. If they don't have it either the parts are overnited to lesco center and we pick them up. They use the same type pumps and motors as everyone else. I am a big beleiver that down time is money wasted so if you have to wait for a simple part, the money you might have saved buying from the out of town guy is by far more wasted.

We also have the lesco spreaders, and again the parts are 99% of the time on their shelves.

We used flat bed trucks for our sprayers, and that way when we need a truck for something else we can slide it off and the slide it back on. We made roll around benchs that roll right up to the trucks at the same height. slide the tank off and on is a simple task.

If you are going to use an enclosed truck I would recommend a sparate cargo are from the driver area. Kinda like the chemlawn trucks. I like those but I also like having a truck that can be used for multiple task.
  7. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Lesco 200 gal. sprayer and a Lesco push spreader are all you need for start-up. A van is nice if your doing alot of apps. You can build a bulkhead to separate the driving area from the back of the van. You can open doors when running a gas engine sprayer. I use a pick-up, and one real problem is getting caught in the rain. I am thinking about buying some dry storage boxes to help eliminate this problem. :) ;) :) ED
  8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I just received my license and I am starting out with a Lesco spreader and just a backpack sprayer. I will move up to a 200 gallon tank sprayer when the time comes. Priced one yesterday that had 200 gallon tank, 12hp Honda and 2 (non-powered) reels. Not sure why there where 2, I didn't even think to ask. Price was similar to the Lesco's at around $3,000.

I don't suppose a 3/4 ton would be able to haul a full 300 gallon tank....anyone know?

9. ToniDavies

The cost for a 200 gallon described in the first post from me runs around $2,900.00 including 300' hose and gun. Prices vary depending on the options you want.
    toni@rittenhouse.ca for further questions or answers.
  10. ToniDavies

For Walker Talker, a 3/4 ton truck will hold a full 300 gallon tank however you would be overweight. I don't know about the laws where you are located if they would give you a fine or not. We do have guys using 300 gallon units in a 3/4 ton and have gotten away with it for years. Chance you take:dizzy: