Equiptment paint codes

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by larryinalabama, Oct 13, 2012.

1. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Is there any access to manufactires paint codes, I may paint one some of my mowers this winter. So how do I get the paint mixed???

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  2. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

my local Napa has sherwin williams paint chips with major manufacturers codes already. I've had Exmark, IH, and Husq paint mixed and I know they had Scag, JD and at least a dozen more.

3. larryinalabama

Thanks for the reply thats cool. If I take a part to them can they match it that way, like homedepoit does with house paint?

4. gcbailey

from WV

Oh ya, any automotive store that mixes paint should have literally thousands of paint chip samples with code numbers, worse case scenario you just take in a piece of it and physically match it up. I restore old tractors/garden tractors in my "spare" time during the winter and the first time I got paint mixed I learned there were about 10 different IH reds, all looked the same to me, but one had a rust inhibitor, one was for clear coat/base coat, blah, blah....

Just be prepared if you "do it right" it can be somewhat costly. I went to school with the owners son of the local Napa, so I don't have to pay for paint (woo hoo!), but I still have to pay for the reducer, hardener, primer, all that stuff and you can easily have $300+ in a decent paint job.

5. larryinalabama

Its been many years since I painted anything.
    How much is a quart of acrilic enamel these days? 1 Gallon reducer? and hardeer?

Also do I mix 1 part paint with 2 parts reducer?

6. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

Depends... I've painted a few cars over the years and I've paid prices all over the place depending on the color, 2 stage, single stage, metallic, etc. Red is the worst because it doesn't hide very well.

The paint shop I buy from will usually reduce it for you and sell you a ready to spray mix for no additional charge. The only thing you have to mix is clear & catalyst which is usually 4:1 for all the clears I've sprayed. Then I usually add a tiny bit of reducer to the clear to help it lay flatter and reduce orange peel depending on the weather.

For a mower, single stage is fine.

7. gcbailey

from WV

Posted via Mobile Device

8. gcbailey

from WV

The paint I normally use is 8:4:1 paint...reducer...hardener. it's a single stage commercial grade from Sherwin Williams. A gallon of paint can run all over the board.
    Posted via Mobile Device