eradicating vinca major

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by irrig8r, Nov 15, 2007.

1. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I haven't posted to this forum before. I used to run a full service maint. business, but got into irrigation and lighting more about 10 years ago and gave up my applicator's license too.

I have a client with a lot of native oaks and 30 years or more of naturalized vinca major under and around them that she wants gone.

Is there any product listed for geting rid of it and/or english ivy? I've used Turflon/ Garlon years ago for brush and poison oak, and I used to use Roundup in a higher concentration for some tougher perennial weeds, but I have no idea what's currently available.

Bear in mind I don't want any chance of damaging the oaks.

Thanks in advance.

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

You need to be licensed. Turflon (contains Triclopyr and Chlorpyrilid) is OK, but chloropyrilid has some soil and root activity--at high rates it might injure oaks. I suggest Roundup followed by regular mowing. It will sprout from the roots--and you will need to spray it again. These vines--in my opinion--will not tolerate close mowing. But--is the area too shady for grass?--then you have a problem. You need some kind of ground cover.

3. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Go to the Dow site and look at Lontrel's label.
    I've used Lontrel to selectively take out Canadian thistle, dandilions, etc. growing through all kinds of stuff without damaging the most sensitive host plants...
    Lontrel is triclopyr.

Good luck!

4. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/invasivetutorial/periwinkle_M_C.htm

take a look at this i didn'y read it all and remember you desirable veg. that you want to keep.
    i believe i read to cut it low and then spray new growth w/ a gylsophate
    i would try a round-up quik(it has diquat in it), lesco prosecutor swift, razorburn. also i have seen roundup quik in homeowner packs at lesco each pack makes a gal to treat 1000 ft square

5. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Remind your client that under oak trees (more acid than most) that establishing any grass is almost impossible. Why remove them? I'd suggest to sculp them with short natural stone and small solar lights with rock paths.

6. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Oops! Brain fart. Up too late. :sleeping:
    Lontrel is about 41% Clopyralid

My advice: Steer clear of using anything containing diquat around your Oaks! ( like RU Quik Pro & Prosecutor Swift Act)

7. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

If they were mine I think I would cut them low too and then several applications of round-up as they resprout. They are going to be going into active growth shortly anyway so the timing would work out nicely. Triclopyr would probably work better but I have more experience with RU under trees so that's why I would stick with it.

Hopefully you are going to mulch the area afterwards and aren't killing the vinca to put a lawn under there. If that's the case she should just remove the tree first and then put down the lawn :). Being sarcastic but I've removed a crapload of trees in CA from lawn/water damamge.