1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

eric and moderators

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joshua, Mar 18, 2001.

1. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

as many of the guys have shown in the posts in "my market is ruined" they would like a paid subscipion to this site, i have to agree with them on this 1 and i believe most guys will feel the same. most of the guys on here have degrees, certifications, and licenses for everything in our business. as lakegastonla said "To the guys saying that few people in each area are members of this site:
    Probably 10 times as many people LURK, than those that are registered members. Why, you ask? I would say because they don't want to give away damaging information, and they want to learn as much as possible from AND about their competition while remaining in the shadows.
    I found this site long ago through an internet search, if that tells you anything!"
    this has to be true in most areas what we call the scabs and lowballers are could be watching in and getting a free education and tips on ideas and everything else that has taken us years to learn. only to steal our business because of the information they have learned from here for free and still undercutting us.
    most of you guys might agree with me on this 1 or might not, but i'm saying that i think its time to pay for this great privlige that we have. i know eric and the administators would like to keep this free but maybe the time has come to do otherwise.

this message goes out to everyone, we need a vote on to keep it free or to pay. everyone needs to place their voice in this one either the side they choose. sorry so long.

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Quote: this message goes out to everyone, we need a vote on to keep it free or to pay. everyone needs to place their voice in this one either the side they choose. sorry so long.

I do not believe Chuck has ever asked us to take a vote to decide if this site should be pay or free.

Until then, I don't really see the need to place my voice on either side.
  3. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

I would really advise against making Lawnsite a pay site. It really seems to me a BAD decision to make. One reason is that some people may see this site and not join because that they haven't experienced Lawnsite yet and don't know that it is worth its weight in gold. Let's suppose someone like Eric or KutnKru wouldn't have joined when they did if it cost money! We would really lose out on that deal!!!

The PEOPLE are what MAKE Lawnsite, so why would you want to stop the people from coming?! There are many other reasons, but I'm sure you guys know most of them. I would definitely pay to have Lawnsite, but I think it would be a LOT better off not being so. My 69 cents!

Not to mention, Chuck doesn't need money! He has already mentioned this! All I have to say is NO NO NO NO!!!! Also the atmosphre here at Lawnsite is partly because of the fact that it is free!

If it ain't broke, DON"T fix it!!!! Lawnsite is doing GREAT!!!! This has the potential to really change Lawnsite for the worse or maybe even the better, but it seems like a big risk! Don't make it a pay site just because a few members are complaining, LOL!!! That's not fair to everyone.

[Edited by Vibe Ray on 03-18-2001 at 01:44 AM]
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It seems as if the most popular reason or belief to mke LS a pay site is to keep the amateurs from initially gaining too much information, or atleast this is what I have read. If this is the idea, then think of this. If everyone had to pay X amount to subscribe, then it's the AMATEURS who would be getting the better deal, because they would essentialyy be getting more bang for their buck. There is slim chance that many of us on here would want to pay the same amount on here to give information to those who can suck up a WORLD of information simply because they just don't have the experience. Me, I enjoy giving out info on techniques, equipment mechanics, and little "tricks" of the trade among other pieces of advice. On the other hand, 17 years in the business, and I'm STILL taking in different viewpoints and ideas from everyone. Bottom line is, it's great the way it is.
  5. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with keeping LS free. I was in the business for 5 yrs before I found this site. My basic learning, blood, sweat and tear giving was a good teacher in those yrs. At the time of signing on I was looking for people who knew the "business" end and thankfully found it here and stayed. I cant say that I would not have signed on if LS were a pay site...just very apprehensive.

On the other hand I do agree that the true "low ballers" that hover on LS suck the industry dry like a leach. If I were to look at myself when I was a newbie as of right now I would see a low baller with one major difference...the passion for learning and doing the job to industy specs. Thats the difference are they learning or lurking, you just cant tell.

I have a suggestion, create some kind of "eyes only" status for new sign ons. Let them have only so much access and then after a certain post or date let them in. Kind of like the homeowners section with "potential". Or let them in and when regulars see their status they will know who to give their prized info to. Just a thought.
  6. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

I find this site to be very informative and I can honestly say I have learned quite a few things. Over all, I can say what I have learned was that I was ALREADY on the right track. 98% of the information I have found on here has just been reinforcement of already practiced procedures.

Do I think this should be a "pay" site? No. As I stated in my opening statement "I find this site to be very informative and I can honestly say I have learned quite a few things". More so, I have found I have had to WEED through tons of stupid, irrelevant and repetitive posts to get to some meat. We have some members that just place posts to hear themselves talk or to get their "senior member" status as fast as they can. All of you have read the posts I am talking about so it will be hard for you to disagree.

When you charge for something you are expected to have some kind of quality assurance. When I pay for something I expect it to be of quality. Why should I pay to hear them yammer for the 200th time about what is someone's favorite mower? Why would I want to pay for "Brand ABCXYZ is crap, I had one 15 years ago and they were junk!" Why read over and over again the same questions because someone refuses to use the search option? That is not something I would chose to pay for and when you think about it, you probably would not either.

Some people commented the info is to easy to get to. If you have learned nothing else as being a parent, or now a responsible adult who was taught by your parents, you learned the only way to shape a person is to teach them right from wrong in the beginning and mold them into someone responsible. Same goes with new lawn care businesses. Maybe people are low balling because they don't have a clue what they should be charging. I know when I graduated high school and started doing lawn work for a professional company I was totally shocked as to how much they were charging for a lawn, let alone the fact that they were getting that kind of money! It was just a concept I had not grasped, but quickly learned. I lost a TON of money charging $10 for a $25 lawn! I just did not know better. Why would an intelligent person low ball if they knew they could get more money for what they do? They need to be educated. I would venture to say there are very few, if any, low ballers on this site. Those that are low ballers will soon learn they are underpaid and will soon be selling us their "almost new" equipment for a great price because they will have gone under.

I love this site and consider it a great resource, but again I must state, "I find this site to be very informative and I can honestly say I have learned quite a few things. More so, I have found I have had to WEED through tons of stupid, irrelevant and repetitive posts to get to some meat". For that reason I must vote "No" when it comes to making this a pay site.

Thank you for listening,

[Edited by Chopper Lover on 03-18-2001 at 09:39 AM]
  7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Listen you guys. NOw let this sink in polleeesse. The administrator, Eric, and the rest of the moderators have said this is NOT and I repeat NOT up for a vote. Chuck has said over and over he will keep this part of the forum free. MOve some space in your brains and make room for this reply and try not to forget it.
  8. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for that clarification. I am very happy to hear that.

To everyone else:

Ignore my "No" vote, but please put some thought into the rest of my last post. I believe my comments are valid and would improve the already great value of this web site.

MIDSOUTH LawnSite Senior Member

If anything stop lurkers and just make them register before veiwing. You don't have to charge a fee.
  10. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sorry that OSC is getting out of the LC business. I don't think that this site has anything to do with him losing business, or any one else on this site losing business. One needs to START SMALL and GROW their business. I see other guy's in my area that started last season that went out and bought the EXPENSIVE $30,000 trucks and large trailers, and BRAND NEW ZTR's only to be out of business mid-season because they could not get enough business to make the PAYMENTS on their equipment. I started with a 21" Toro Pro-Line WB. I'd load it up in my 1998 S-10 pick-up. I didn't under cut people in my area, maybe that's why I'm having trouble building my business. Mid season last year I built up enough customer base to AFFORD a used Walker ZTR. If I would have bought a BRAND NEW WALKER I would be out of business already. One has to start a business with what they can afford, and GROW from there. This year I raised my prices because of insurance and the increasing fuel costs, and have not lost one customer yet, they all have told me they understand and know they can COUNT on me and want to stay on. This has SUPRISED me cause most of my customers are SENIORS and they are tight-@sses. If one keeps buying and buying NEW to impress their clients they are hurting themselves, those people say to themselves he keeps rasing his prices so he can pay for that BRAND NEW TRUCK, and all the other FANCY equipment he has on that trailer. I'm sorry if I have offended any of you by my statements here.
    It's like a business friend of mine told me, START SMALL like I have and GROW your BUSINESS. If you start BIG and try to GROW your business you might not even make it the FIRST season without going BROKE!!!!!!!!!
    Just my thoughts on LOSING customers. Start Small and GROW into your BUSINESS.