Eric, did you sneek to TN and cut any?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by oneEXMARKfan, Apr 10, 2001.

1. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

He he he..I had to go by a Deere dealer about 20 miles away, and on the same road I saw the best srtiping I've ever seen this year (prob. ever). Just wondering if you had been down this way putting your "magic touch" on that piece of comm. property. (It did seem quite tall..... Does it stripe better the taller it is?) Wish I had a digital camera with me... (the trip to the dealer was a waste of time as far as a Green Machine trimmer head for my Shindaiwa... he didn't even know what I was talking about..Ask me what 1 looked like.

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I gotta say around here,most professional lawn care companys stripe as good as any of us.The grass stripes much better at higher heights,since tall grass lays over easier than short grass.At 3 1/2" height,anything will stripe great.The most impressive thing about Eric@ELM's stripes to me is,how straight they are-over humps and off cambers-even passes that I know are 6-700 ft long.

[Edited by John DiMartino on 04-10-2001 at 06:57 PM]

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

That guy must of bought one of Eric's VCR tapes on " How to Stripe a Lawn".

4. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

He must have! I mean I see striped lawns everywhere I go, everyday (you can't sling a dead cat, without it landing in a striped lawn) but this was UNREAL! Way beyond the "average".

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Thanks John. You are the first one to ever mention the straightness and that is one thing I take pride in. When I mowed with the JD I had noticed ZTR's around the area for a few years, but everyone that had one, the stripes were not straight, so I figured it was the type of mowers that was the problem. :)

After I finally got one, I realized it was much easier to drive the ZTR straight than the JD with sloppy steering. I think the biggest reason I like the picture on my home page is that I took it down low standing under a tree. I have found that the lower you are standing when taking a lawn picture, it will show the slightest curve in a stripe. I'm not trying to pat myself on the back here, but just explaining a few things. Sorry for babeling on and on here.

oneEXMARKfan

No it wasn't me. I've been out on our own turf, but thanks for thinking it was me. :)

6. Eric ELM

Did you happen to go out towards Lebonon? I know a member cclllc (John) that mows out that way and he makes some nice stripes. It could of been one of his lawns and he uses Choppers to mow with also.

7. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

Actually Eric, it was in Hendersonville (Sumner Co). On New Shackle Island Road.

8. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

Maybe it was just the way the sun was on it, or the "sea of (new John Deere)green" reflecting on it...... Whatever it was, to me it was extremly gorgous. (don't know when it was cut, but it was about 5" tall when I saw it today) What is the "optimum" (not spelled right) height to cut it, as far as stripping the best vrs. being cut short enough. I know it would depend on the individual, but just in theory? (so to speak) I mean if it stripes the best the taller it is, when is it too high? (tall fescue) * Eric I did sign your guest book.I hope that was O.K. ......

[Edited by oneEXMARKfan on 04-10-2001 at 10:55 PM]

9. Eric ELM

I start out cutting 2.5" to 3". When it's hot I mow most of them at 3 to 3.5" and some at 4" to 4.5". I then bring them down to 2.5 for winter time. The pictures on my striping page are at 2.5"

10. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

Hmmmmmm the last 3 times I cut my mom's, I cut it at 2.5". and today I cut it at 3" . It's just a 48" Metro H.P. (17 hp KAW) with no striping kit, and it does stripe, but I guess I need a kit. (It is the best looking lawn around...as far as green and thick [it needs cutting after about 3 days....cut it every 4] Just wish it would stripe better..might try it at 3.5" next time