eric EL M

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawrence stone, Nov 9, 2000.

1. Please share the details of those chains you have been dragging around. I want to make a set up like this to be able to install on my toro sit down sulky when needed.

What is the size chain, length, spacing on the bar etc.?

Would I need 62" worth of bar & chains with a 62" deck?

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

The size is 5/16 and about 1 foot long. There is a picture on my website of this setup. Check it out.

3. dylan

dylan Member
    from Ontario

Your site is looking great Eric!
    Not only would do those chains help with striping but they could also stop a rock or other projectile from being thrown out from under your deck.
    Did they come with the machine or did you think of that.
    I was draging a chain under my mower but it was long and attached across the mower not dragging down like yours.

4. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

How are the chains kept from going under the deck when in reverse?

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Stone,I made an identical setup to Eric's.My buddy has a steel punch,he builds bridges and super structures.I had him punch me slots 1" on center,use the 5/16" chain,mine are 1 ft long in the center and the outmost 4 on each side are about 2" shorter going towards the tire,so that they cant get stuck under the rear tires.I feel it helps,although mine striped pretty good stock,it just deepens,and lightens it more.It really helps as the heights get lower,I notice its really better at 2" than without it,although I rerally dont mow at that height-i know you do,so it is worth building.E-mail me if I can help.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

They're not long enough to reach under the deck. Or get under the wheels when backing up at an angle, atleast it doesn't appear.

[Edited by Runner on 11-10-2000 at 02:58 AM]

7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

One advantage that Eric had said earlier, was the chains will help break up core plugs after core aerations.

8. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

I have the striping chains on my dixie too.The only problem I've had is one time they got hung in my drop gate on my trailer and I like to have never got them loose.John

9. Bluegrass Lawn Service

Bluegrass Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I would like to come up with a way to use rubber conveyer belting across the back of my deck and be able to raise or lower it at will. Some of my clients don't like the striping some do.

10. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

Most ztr mowers will stripe to an extent whether you have chains or some other means of doing so.You probably already knew that.If your customer doesn;t like stripes ,I suggest changing the way you mow.MAYBE 2 DOWN 2 BACK.iT'S JUST AS FAST.i HAVE A PATTERN IF YOU NEED IT.