1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Eric or others using 2 Blade System

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by River Hill, Apr 18, 2000.

1. Alan

Alan Member

Been there too, Eric. I welded up crosses for my JD taht I use with a bagger for leaf cleanup. Thought that 7018 and preheat would hold up, I was wrong. Hit something and two fo the three crosses came apart violently. Tell ya what, when you take half a blade off clean things REALLY start to shake.
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Alan, talk about a blade that's out of balance!! I only lost one piece of a blade that ended up under the deck, but it could have been bad if it flew out. It was scary enough so I didn't do any more blade welding.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
  3. Grassboy

Grassboy LawnSite Member

WAIT A SECOND.<p>Charles, You were cutting at 1 and 1/2 in.?????? that's like golf course height. What kind of grass r u cutting/ what region of the world? I live in Northern Ohio by Clevland, I cut almost everyone at 3&quot;, will the double blades work good for mowing at this height Eric? Should I tighten them as tight as possible? And How thourghly and often do you have to clean under the deck w/ this double blade setup?
  4. crew

crew LawnSite Member

I am in MN and cut most at 3&quot; as well. The set up works great. As far as cleaning the deck, I wish I would have been a little more concientious. There is now some seriuos build up on my deck as well as blades. It going to be a ***** to get clean.<br>I'm not so sure that keeping the blades perpendicular would not deacrease the tightness after hitting something. When it happened to me,the blades twisted so far from square that the bend on the mulching blade was almost like a spring washer. But I bow to the sensei and will not sweat this.
  5. Grassboy

Grassboy LawnSite Member

Hey Crew,<p>Use a power washer (on a low setting so it doesn't hurt your deck) to take the grass off the bottom of your deck.
  6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Grassboy, I don't cut any lawns a 1.5&quot;, so I can't tell you how it works on that. The lowest I cut is 2.5&quot; and it's fine at that highth. We have a few older couples that insist on it being short, I guess they think they are getting more for their money. Most of our lawns are cut at 3&quot; or more during the summer and bring them down to 2.5&quot; in the fall. Just tighten the doubles up just like you would a single blade and you should be fine.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
  7. EDL

EDL LawnSite Member
    from MA

Doe any of you use longer bolts to hold on the double blades of do you use the stock bolts.<br>
  8. paddy

paddy LawnSite Member

how could you use larger bolts? i'm not taking a drill to my spindle. OIC, i'm kinda dumb, i could erase that, but i won't to show my train of thought. I don't use longer bolts, but I do use one less washer up top, the 4th washer did fit, but i prefer only 3 up top, and none below
  9. I'm a believer.After reading the posts, I went out and tried it on a grasshopper used two gator blades all i had, it was awsome, i put it down low to try it and mowed through foot high grass with good results. Good idea.<p>thanks
  10. Alan

Alan Member

Well,, the Lazer hit the turf for the first time today. With two blades per spindle as well. I'm a believer! Used an Exmark mulcher as the top blade and a high lift on the bottom. Got into some high and heavy stuff that was a bit damp, no problem. 25 Kohler got into the governor a little but that was all. I'll get some gators to try up top next, gotta order them, nobody here stocks them.