Erosion Control - Colorado River Rock

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Aug 10, 2004.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

This is a line of photenias. If you notice, just along right edge of the photenias, the roots are exposed from erosion. On the other side of these photenias is a field, I'd guess about 3 acres worth of land, that all drains down towards the sewer intake at the bottom. But every time it rains, it's obvious the "bed" of these photenias is turning into a creek bottom. the other side of the photenias is fine...it gets western sun and the bermuda is pretty well established. The erosion is only happening on this side of the photenias.

We can't place mulch in the beds because if we do, it will all wash out everytime we get a good rain. If you notice, mud is washing out by the sewer intake everytime it rains. It looks horrible.

I was thinking of bringing in some landscaping fabric, the kind they sell to prevent weeds, laying in the bottom of the bed and then installing Colorado River Rock on top of that. The guy who sells colorado river rock around here thinks I'll beed about 16 tons. That works out to about 36 pounds of rock per square foot.

Is that too much weight for the roots?

Do you think the weed fabrick with stones on top will solve the erosion problem?

Any other suggestions?

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

shadow ridge erosion 1.03.jpg

2. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Here's a pic of the colorado river rock, just in case anyone doesn't know what it is.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

colorado river rock.jpg

3. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Ground cover, like Asian Jasmine or something will keep the ground from eroding, and look very nice. Better yet, maybe a ground cover with some color to contrast with the green.