1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Erosion Control Products?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by lawnmaniac883, May 30, 2007.

1. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Ok so my customer lives in a residential neighborhood, has a fenced in backyard. Only problem is that the backyard and its fence borders a drainage creek so his property is progressively being eroded by the elements and the area under his fence has been washed away now leaving about a one foot gap under the fence. What kind of products could be used to retain the rest of his dirt and prevent it from being washed away. I know there are silt fences and such, I'm looking for something more permanent. Thought about the bags of concrete that get stacked to make a makeshift retaining wall? Noone see's the area so beauty is not a concern.
  2. capetan

capetan LawnSite Member

a picture might be helpful....how big is this problem, i found a lot interesting pictures of stuff by doing a google search....are you looking for instructions on how to build a retaining wall, a retaining wall is pretty much your only option..... material wise you got rock stone concrete wood....... a picture would be nice
  3. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

The most effective erosion control material is living plant material. I would replace the eroded top soil and get some quick growing ground cover going.
  4. lawnmaniac883

Only problem with living material is right now we are in a really bad drought and there is no way to get water to the area. Its not a big area at all, maybe 15 - 20 feet wide and only 7 or so feet deep.
  5. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

The plant material suggestion isa good one , but your idea of bags of concrete is a low cost option that will work - just stack them dry , offset the joints and backfill - it won't look very good from the back side , though.
  6. lawnmaniac883

Not worried about looks as this will be done on the opposite side of the fenceline then backfilled with topsoil.
  7. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a customer that has a hillside that is washing away and weeds too. I am thinking about crown vetch to give them a no maintenance solution and help the erosion problem. They do not want a wall I tried to get them to do it.