1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Erosion Problem

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by jbor, Aug 11, 2013.

1. jbor

jbor LawnSite Member

Hello. First time post here sorry for starting with a help request.

One side of my house is next to a drainage ditch and a small section of my side yard has a bad erosion problem. I have found the main cause which was related to the drainage of my gutter and fixed this but I need a suggestion for something that will grow there with basically full shade once I fill the area with soil.

The only caveat is that this area is directly in front of the opening to my shed so i will need to access the area with a mower. A picture showing the problem area is below:

[​IMG]

Any ideas on what grass/weed or anything that would grow here in almost no direct sun and have enough of a root system to help hold the soil in place?

Thanks for the help.

2. 9ball1018

9ball1018 LawnSite Member

Why not fill it in and put down some stone or loose rock. I just don't think it's worth planting anything for it to die.

3. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I 2nd this

grade it so water will run away and put gravel in

4. TruSomethingOrOther

TruSomethingOrOther LawnSite Member

+3. Rock it and call it done.

5. jbor

jbor LawnSite Member

I'll give it a try. Thanks for the input.

6. lafrance4078

lafrance4078 LawnSite Member

In my expirence, shade tolerant grass tend to not tolerate traffic very well. 2nd or 3rd or 5th the idea of stone for that area.