errosion control after seeding

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by lawnchopper, Jul 26, 2010.

1. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

im about to do some seeding and im wondering since the area im seeding is like a black sand and on a slop and not irrigated what would be a good erosion control method to put on after i seed it? Also to help hold moisture and protect the seed.I would like to use straw or would grass hay work or lawn clippings work too? Whats best? Do i have to remove it later?, the seed grow through if i dont apply it to heavy?

Also the topsoil im using had a large brush burned on top of it. I wondering if that should be a concern with all the ash mixed in?

Brent

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

You almost have to use straw on slopes, or perhaps a floating row cover, would be better. Chop the straw if at all possible, till up the brush fire area, if possible, and wait a couple more weeks to seed, if possible.

3. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

I do agree but what makes straw better than lets say grass hay or grass clippings??

4. Smallaxe

Course and light.
    Grass clipping are clumpy then disappear when they dry, making them much more difficult to get , just the right coverage. Grass hay is a better option, than grass.

Anything will work, as long as it gives you the, "right coverage". And that is better felt, than tellt. :)

5. Laner

Laner LawnSite Senior Member

I seeded a regraded slope to a river this spring and used straw mating (comes in a roll) on the severe slope areas -worked great! The homeowner didn't want to me to cover the other section that has less grade to it and now I will be redoing that area this Fall as the heavy rains we had this spring washed most of the seed away. It will get covered with straw mating this time.

pic 016.jpg

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  6. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

Next time lay it top to bottom, not across.

Dave...

7. Smallaxe

Does that have the nylon string in it?

8. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

Lesco has a nice roll out mating. It's green and no nylon strings. We used it on a couple jobs worked good and it biodegradable.

Charles Cue

9. Laner

Laner LawnSite Senior Member

Dave -why top to bottom?

Samllaxe -yes it has nylon string in it. It is suppose to decompose within 1 year. We have mowed over it with no problems.

10. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

Because water can get in between the seams and wash it away. Especially on steeper slopes.

Dave...