ESC Conversion

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by ACER, Jun 28, 2002.

1. ACER

ACER LawnSite Member

I have a 2001 Metro HP that I would like to change to ECS controls, my dealer says you do not make a kit for this mower. Is this correct? You make one for the Metro, why not the Metro HP?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

ACER,

Your dealer is correct, we only made kits for TTHP and the Metro. The reason for this is they are much higher volumes of units that we sell.

You can put an ECS handle on your unit. You can look up the part numbers from an ECS manual and order them at your dealer. But if want to take the easy path drop me a line and I can help you. fred.fugett@exmark.com :angel:

The other option you have is see what you can do with selling that unit and buying a new one. Remember your time is money also or pay the dealer to do it!

Thanks, Fred.

3. jman00

jman00 LawnSite Member

I talked with fred and he sent the parts i needed to change my metrohp over to the ecs. I love the new handles they are great and i can mow all day without discomfort. However if you have any desire to upgrade to a Z or a different kind of mower i would save the 400 bucks or so and put it toward a new mower. That is just my opinion.

4. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Does it cost $400 to up grade to the ECS?:eek:

5. eXmark

Ryan,

It could. The ECS handle kit for the Turf Tracer HP is $279. I don't know what the installation costs would be but it's worth it to me. I don't want to knock the pistol grips because they work great, there's nothing wrong with them. I just prefer the ECS handles in a big way. They just feel better to me and do a better job of protecting my hands.

The labor can take some time to install the kit due to the changes in the adjustments. If we were talking about a gear drive I would recommend that you go ahead and install the ECS handles yourself. On a hydro however I would recommend that you have your dealer install them. After all if your going to invest the $279 for the parts what’s another $120 to make sure they work right.

Thanks

Terry

6. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Terry speaking of the ECS controls... I am getting ready to buy a new Turf Tracer HP 48" cut with the ECS handles. I plan to put a new Exmark steerable sulky on it also. My question is... with the sulky on will the ECS handles sit too high and be uncomfortable?. My dealer said the ECS handles can be adjusted to accomadate me in the sitting down position. He said there are 3 adj holes on the mower(TTHP). Sound right? Thanks for any help. He also said if it's too much of a problem he can switch them with pistol grips. Any thoughts? Can the TTHP 48" be ordered with pistol grips instead of ECS. I think he said it can but not with ECS and 17 Kaw electric start only recoil. I appreciate any help and opinions. Thanks.

7. eXmark

TJLC,

Stick with the ECS controls. Everything that makes the ECS so great on a walkbehind is magnified when you put the sulky on behind the unit. I'm not knocking the pistol grips, they work fine but the ECS really does shine when you’re using the Exmark steerable sulky.

As far as converting back pistol grip, it can be done but I don't know what it might cost due to the labor involved. I think once you get on the machine you'll find you don't want to convert it to pistol grips anyway.

The ECS controls on a hydro can not be adjusted up or down. The ECS controls on a gear drive do however have 3 height adjustment locations. They have only one position. The Sulky on the other had does have three possible mounting locations. That may be what your dealer was referencing as well.

Due to market response to the ECS controls the pistol grips have been eliminated from the Turf Tracer HP line up for 2003 however he may have access to a 2002 hold over model.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks

Terry

8. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Terry, thank you for this info. I am anxious to try the ECS controls with the sulky . Thanks, again.