ESP-M gone haywire

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by irrig8r, Jun 28, 2007.

1. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Customer called me and described a knocking sound waking her up concurrent with the sprinklers running at 4 AM. I thought maybe it was water hammer and went over top check this evening.

Tried to run the ESP-M that IO installed in March manually and the red alarm light went on. Then there was something in the display about a delay.. then it said no AC... then MV err, station 1 err, 2 err, 3 err, 4 err, 5 err. Each time I tried a station manually it said err and then it pulsed like using a Chatterbox.

Then I did the contractor default deal, and since I had never saved the program it went to a default of 10 min every day. So I reprogrammed it. Then tried a manual start and everything worked fine...

Didn't have the manual in the box...I think the gardener took it, so I wondered if he messed with the program too.

Anyway... what the hell could have happened?

2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Controller with tourettes?

3. That is a new one on me. I've had good results with the ESP-m. I think we've had a module that didn't work but other than that no problems.

4. irrig8r

:laugh:

Did you ever se the episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm with the celebrity owned restaurant where they had the chef with Tourette's?

Well, I'm going to go back and thoroughly test the wiring after the weekend. I didn't do the original install, just a controller upgrade. Everything tested fine then.

She has been manually operating the valves since the problem started last week and will let me know how it watered this AM.

5. Tourettes is an unusual problem. I know the Twins had a player with it and their was a BB player some years back with it. I've never understood the cussing part of the syndrome. Why cussing? That has always thrown me for a loop.

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like the controller had too many Lawn Genie beers!!

7. service mgr1

service mgr1 LawnSite Member

I have seen this several times with the esp m . the weird thing is you can reset it and sometimes it cures it and sometimes it doesn't. rain bird tells me that they had a "bad batch" of these controllers for one month, but i have seen more than just that date code doing this.

8. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

One of my service techs had this problem just today with an ESP16 LX. Same thing, faults across all zones and master. reset replaced the fuse and problem solved. unfortunately what I relayed to them is it's usually the master, after being on for an extended period of time, heats up and throws a fault. or the transformer is going bad.

Asked if they checked anything with the multimeter, and they looked at me like i was ********. "why would i do that? it worked fine for us."

5 bucks says they'll be back inside of a week.

pg

9. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Strange things happen with controllers.

Last week I got a frantic call that a site's sprinklers had come on during the day and everything was getting flooded. When I got to the site there wasn't anything running as the site guy had turned the backflow off. I finally found out from him (after clearly asking four times) that ALL the zones had fired simultaneously. I opened the Irritrol MC-Plus controller and ALL the lights are on. Switched it ro Rain Off and then back to Auto and all was fine, clearing the controller. Program and time were OK.

Opened the backflow back up and then ran the system through a quick 2-minute test to see if all the valves actuated and shut down properly and all was well. There had been a city-wide 10 minute power failure the night before and the only thing I can think of is that when the power came back on it spiked the controller. None of the other 100+ controllers in the district had any problems either and this is only the third time in 20 years that I've run into this problem.

10. irrig8r

I found out by reading the manual and confirmed with RB tech support that hitting the reset on the ESP-M does not clear the program from memory, but does reset the microprocessor. Clearing the memory is a separate "hidden" function.

They didn't mention any "bad batch" though, and my supplier hadn't heard of any problems with them either. (He says they have had a lot of problems with Iriitrol Rain Dials lately though)