Espoma and Scotts are beating me!!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by MrC, Jul 26, 2007.

1. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

I started using Lesco for the first time this year. From early spring to mid July everyone loved my lawn. However, the last two weeks my lawn has looked weak. My neighbor to my left (Scotts) and to my right (Espoma) have noticably darker fuller yards.

I water 3x a week @ 5 am 20-25 min per zone
    Neighbor to the right 5x @ 5 am 5-10 min per zone
    Neighbor to the left 4x @ 6 PM 15- 20 min per zone

The only other thing I can think of is that I applied 24-5-11(with Scotts spreader @6 about 1/3 of the way open) last week and about an hour later it down poured possilby washing the fertilizer away. The next day it poured again.
    Any thoughts?

2. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

Can't wait to read the reply's to this tomorrow.

Drought-watering lightly and frequently-high humidity-possible grub damage-fertilizer program-soil test-

We're gonna need more info than watering schedule and what fert you put on last week. Hope to help.

3. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

So if I understand you live in a neighborhood where everyone cares for their own lawn?

Your watering 3 X week at 20-25 minutes/zone...is the water penetrating the soil. Have you checked the soil to see if it is moist 4-6 inches deep?

Your neighbors (and possibly yourself) are probably applying heavy amounts of fertilizer (cuz we all know if a little is good then a lot must be better)

Grass types?

4. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

I used a Greenview sun and shade mix.
    Charismatic Perennial Ryegrass
    Champagne Kentucky Bluegrass
    Pathfinder Red Fescue
    Exacta Perennial Ryegrass
    Oxford Fine Fescue

I followed the plan that Lesco provided me so I figured that was correct. My neighbor using Scotts has followed their 4 step plan to a T. My neighbor using Espoma applies more frequently, I'm not quite sure but I'm guessing every 4-5 weeks.

I'll check the soil later and get back to you. Anything else that I can provide to help solve this?

5. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

two things scott's has going for them is methylene urea and sop:)

the ratios are junk though

6. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

I checked my soil and both of my neighbors. While my soil had some moisture it definitely was not as moist as both of my neighbors. I didn't water today and I don't know if they watered last night or this morning. They water more often per week than I do. Will simply adding more time per zone or adding a day help this?

Also, any chance that the storm washed away some of the fertilizer?

7. ACutAboveNC

ACutAboveNC LawnSite Member

If it rained @ 1-2 in an hour then maybe you had some runoff but I highly doubt it. Do you live on the side of a hill? If your lawn is relatively flat then where would it go? Your problem is probably more environmental than anything else. Your soil could be hydrophobic. It could be a million different reasons than not following the "Lesco" plan.

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with you--apply more water.
    However fungus is a possibility--Red thread? Dollarspot? Brown patch? Gray leaf spot?

9. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

I don't live on a hill. After taking a couple soil samples clay ranged anywhere from 4-7" down.

I used Scotts fungicide twice (curative and preventative) and it seemed to help a lot. Maybe I should do one more preventative application.

Thanks again for all the help!!!

10. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

do you all mow with the same frequency, do you mow the same height ?

There are so many factors to consider. I switched from lesco to Mesa from lebonon turf three years ago and I am very satisfied with this product, I would never go back to lesco.