essential equipment for beginner

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by agriffn, Feb 18, 2002.

1. agriffn

agriffn LawnSite Member

i have a truck, a craftsman 6.75 hp 21 inch mower, a craftsman weed eater, what else do i need for basic residential lawn car.

should i buy a edger or use a weed eater angled to edge.

if i mulch how often should i pick up grass, once a month?

thanks alot . have fun.
  2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

hey welcome to the forum! have u tried the search engine? all these topics have been discussed, do a search for beginner, or beginning, or just starting or something like that. to answer ur question u might also want a blower, whether or not u need an edger depends on how much u do, weedwacker will do fine, do u have any knowledge in the field? it does help when starting a business.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome to lawnsite.

First off, I would suggest getting commercial equipment as soon as possible. The craftsman stuff will not last very long and cost you more in the long run to operate.

If you plan to buy a stick edger, start with a comm'l unit. Several good brands out there.

Get a 36" comm'l mower as soon as you have the $$$ avaliable. Money well spent over a 21".

You need a backpack blower. I run stihls and redmax. As said before, get the comm'l models.

If you mulch you shouldn't need to bag. The clippings decompose very quickly.

Start reading everything you can here. There is tons of info that can keep you busy for a long time. Did I mention buy comm'l equipment?
  4. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

Start saving for commercial equipment... start out with a basic belt driven 36'' walk behind for your first mower. Get your self (1) good back pack blower, (1) stick weedwacker, a couple green barrels and that should be good to get you started out for now. If you cannot afford all that to start... then just buy a few things as you go.... good luck
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, I forgot to mention.

Business License and General Liability Insurance!!!
  6. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

good point vince
  7. greens

greens LawnSite Member

Where in washington do you live? I run my business out of Spokane. Depending on the size of the residentials you will be mowing and how many accounts you have, you may not need a 36" to start out. The other guys are right about the commercial part of it. Here's what I would get if I was just starting out and didn't have a ton of money.

2 cycle 21" toro $1,000
    Stihl trimmer $300
    Stihl stick edger $300
    Stihl,redmax, or echo backpack blower $400

only $2,000

Hopefully you already have a truck and trailer!
    Good Luck
  8. Something that wasn't mentioned,
    Find a good machine repair shop.(your going to need it whether running commercial or the craftsman equipment). They can save your butt when you're in a jam for equipment.

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The quote is from Vince Lombardi, I'm not Vince.:)
  10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I live in Vinces old neighborhood!

One of the most important tools in right in front of your face.

Use the Search feature on Lawnsite. There are literally thousands of hours of reading. I wish I had this site when I started.

I will reiterate what many of my colleagues have stated:
    Go with Commercial stuff.

Good Luck