Essential Tools and Toys For Irrigators

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Kiril, Jan 27, 2009.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I have enough full sized 4WD trucks. Need good gas mileage for around town driving. House to house service calls. PLUS I'm tired of scratching my good truck, and putting a ton of miles on it.

My '96 GMC and '97 F-150 each have 210+k miles.

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

If your "good truck" is not making you any money, something is bad wrong.

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

My good truck I bought for ME. But it has turned into more of my work truck. I don't want my ME truck filled with parts, tools, tool boxes, paperwork, trash, dirt, wet seats, and a million miles. Then clean it out when ever I go somewhere personal.

And my bad trucks can make just as much money while taking the abuse.

4. TRILAWNCARE

TRILAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

That's why you need a nice truck. For the personal thing. So you need three all together. Work, good and nice.

5. Mike Leary

6. ARGOS

ARGOS LawnSite Silver Member

Fords definitely keep going. I have a 97 E150 about to flip 200k and it drives like a champ. My 97 F150 has 250k, it is getting a transmission check today and got all thumbs up. Today I am pimping in the GMC dump with trailer...I hate turning around.

The nice car is the sprinter, but I don't get to drive it. Its the kid car. I am lining up to get one as a service van.

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Have you and I agreed on one thing yet? You might want to take your lady on a date in your dirty ol' truck. I don't. I don't want to look like a contractor when I pull up at a restaurant or bar. Or take it full of parts when I go fishing. Or have to empty it because on the weekend because I have projects to do.

You do your thing. I'll do mine. We'll be just fine and dandy.

8. Mike Leary

You might want re-read your post; my wife of 30+ years liked us roughnecks.

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

You might like the dirty ol' roughneck look. I don't for myself. Doesn't mean it's good or bad. Just my preference. and mine of 18+ years doesn't want a dirty ol' roughneck.

10. Mike Leary

Some women like us a little bit scruffy, what can I say? I had the crew wash my truck on Fridays; a truck that scores jobs, collects
    money, and generally keeps the operation going is a different breed of management.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009