Estate management

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bushtrimmer, Dec 1, 2004.

1. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

We have a couple of customers that we send both a grass cutting crew and a landscape crew to each week to do whatever needs to be done and then some.
    For next year I was considering setting up a crew with a large enclosed trailer with all lawn and landscape equipment needed as an "estate management" crew. I think this would be a time and material billing and just do whatever needs to be done. Maybe do some very high maintenance commercial jobs @ beginning of week and then residential last half of week. When times are real busy for landscape like in spring have a landscape crew accompany them as well.
    Anyone do any of this, heard of doing something like this, or have any constructive assistance.

2. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

I am right there with you. We have been sending 2 crews to do the same thing to a high end area 30 miles South of us. What my plans are is to get a Quad Cab Isuzu with a 18' enclosed box like the SuperLawn Trucks. Load it up with everything and a 4 man crew.

Right now I am working on taking a 50 gallon Lesco skid sprayer apart so I can bolt it up under the body of the truck. That way the chemical treatments can also be done.

The truck will carry one Z, one walk behind and assorted other tools. I think I can get everything in the box that we'll need. I have been toying with this concept now for several months.

Not having a trailer is also a bonus for the drivers. However if we need to take 100 bales of pine straw down there then I still can hook an open trailer up to it and send them off.

What are some of your ideas?

3. grassman2001

grassman2001 LawnSite Member

Bushtrimmer what part of the city are your estate managment jobs in, and what part of the city are you located in.

4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we call it an enhancement crew. Mine is only one guy, But that's how most lrge companies handle that.

they have a mowing crew.
    an installation crew
    and an enhancement or "floating crew"

on our large commercial sites and high end residential the "other stuff" guy goes with the mowing crew and does nothing but weed, prune, edge beds, etc.

his time is then billed separately from the mowing crew.

5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Define "landscpe Crew". For me a maintenance crew will do almost anything but installations, and has everything on the trailer/truck for them that has anything to do with "maintenance". :)

6. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

My grass cutting crews just cut grass. They just don't get anything else, or are really enthusiastic about anything else. Do a great job of cutting grass, not that's it's rocket science or anything, but I don't get any complaints.
    If I said landscape crew, what I meant was landscape maintenance crew. That crew will float between maintenance and new install depending on what's needed. Install crew just works on building installs.