Estim molch jobs

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cks dad, Mar 29, 2007.

1. cks dad

cks dad LawnSite Member

Gave my first estim for the year today.Unfortunately it was a mulch job.But maybe mowing also.Just wondering how do you guys decide on how many yards of mulch it will take to do jobs you get.Been in the business for 5years but have only done mow trim and blow in the past.Decided to do mulch also this year.The customer i talked to today said his yard takes 6yards of mulch.So i quoted him $400 for mulch delivery and install.My wife who thinks she knows everything said that was to high.This is a lady that has never done mulch in her life typical women lol.All mouth and no experience.I hate to ask the customer how much mulch did it take last time they had it done.Just doesnt seem professional to ask that any advice would be appreciated.

2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

That's about 66 bucks a yard installed. It seems prices vary depending on region, but that sounds about right. You're definitely not cutting yourself short... Next time you may want to charge a delivery fee on top of that if you have to pay to have it delivered.

3. cks dad

cks dad LawnSite Member

Thankyou fiveoboy for the advice.Next time i will consider that.

4. Rizzo

Rizzo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

I just did my first mulch job today. I get the mulch for $15 a yard (they load and I deliver). I charged $40 per yard delivered and $40 an hour for installation which was about 3 hours for 6 2/3 yards of mulch. The customer didn't even bat an eye at the bill. The company I got mulch from in the past charges $65 per yard! And that was not even delivered.

5. Alpha01

Alpha01 LawnSite Member

The best prices that I give that gets the customers to bite is about $32 per yard for installation plus the cost for materials. I get mulch for about $17 - $24 per yard. So that is about $49 TO $54 PER YARD materials and labor. You can charge for delivery if you think you can get away with it