Estimate ettiqute

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by oceanpotion, Feb 7, 2007.

1. oceanpotion

oceanpotion LawnSite Member

etiquette

Ok guys, I gave someone an estimate on a job for X amount of dollars. After getting a few opinions from different helpers, I have come to the conclusion that my estimate may be alot on the low side. Im thinking the best thing to do is to hire a professional for a written estimate and then compare. The question is how should I present the change in estimate to my client, if there is any?

2. Burch's Lawn Care  LLC

Burch's Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Member

suck it up and do the job, this is how we learn. how bad is the estimate off you think?

3. bigcountry01

bigcountry01 LawnSite Member

yeah i say just go ahead and do the job. you might make very little or no money but thats how we all learn. do a good job and next time chances are they will ask you to come back, they'll also tell their friends about you and when they call you be a little more careful about the estimate. good luck

4. IowaLawnEnforcement

IowaLawnEnforcement LawnSite Member

This is how you do estimates in the future. When you meet with the customer you tell them you cant give an exact cost untill you have got into the job and see what it involves, but the cost wont be anymore than an inflated amount. Then once you get in there and see what it is going to take then you tell them a cost cheaper than the inflated amount and they feel like you gave them a deal and a good price for the service you provided:cool2: .

It takes a bit of creativity and salemanship to pull off this type of approach, but once you get the hang of it you will find that you are making the money you deserve.

5. bladelawn

bladelawn LawnSite Member

Yeah, the best way to do it is by trial and error. I have thought about calling in another service just to see what they would bid, but that can get tricky. I found the best way to do it is by formula. Figure out your costs, so say it will cost you $10 in gas to do this job. Then, figure in how much you want to get paid per hour, say $10. If you estimate the job to take two hours, then you bid $30 ($10 gas, $10x2 per hour) and maybe add in a couple bucks to cover overhead, unforseen repairs, etc.

6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

two hours... 30.00???????????????? you are SERIOUSLY under priced..... this sounds just like inexperienced lowballing..... just because they dont know any better

gas plus hourly wage, what about insurance, vehicle payments , equipment payments, (and you cant say its payed for) thats not how a business works.... you have to put the money towards replacement equipment..... workers comp, phones, and on and on...

you have to understand your true cost of business to decide what to charge....

and as far as calling a professional to see what they charge, YOU are supposed to be a professional....

if you have a business plan this should be pretty easy, if you dont, well.....

7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

you have been in busines for 4 years and you are asking your helpers what to charge????

8. bladelawn

Yes, if this were a real bid it would be lowballing. However, this was an example. I used small amounts to simplify it. Sheesh.

9. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

^ haha..right...jump right down your throught for giving a little example

10. bladelawn

no kidding...no hard feelings tho.