Estimate for park "french drain system"

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Northwest, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Northwest

Northwest LawnSite Member

I need to bid on a park that is at the lower part of a hill and needs a drain system put in. Water pools in 50% of the park. The park is 175' x 110', soil is glacier runoff (rocks). The drain pipes can be run out the side of the hill after they are run under the park. I was thinking french drains every 20'. Should they crisscross in a grid pattern or would one running perpendicular to the hill then have runners going down the hill every 20' be correct. After putting in the french drain system I would put about 6" of top soil down and level and grade the park since the developer did not. Rock is about $10 a yard and topsoil $12. Any help would be appreciated.

2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

It sounds like a detention basin not a park :)

Ok figure one main run use a 6" or 8" pipe and feeders running off it at 10' intervals, these can be 4". I would use gravel, pipe gravel with a filter frabic around the whole thing. bring the gravel within 6" of the top.

3. Northwest

Northwest LawnSite Member

Any idea on price or at least how many man hours this would take. I would be renting a mini x for the trenching and a bobcat to move material.

4. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Thats hard to do, what my equipment can do Vs. yours will make a big differance in hrs spent and labor. My excavtor has laser grade controls so it goes faster than one without. We price by the lin ft of pipe, $7 per ft of 6".

I would draw out a plan of the park finding the lowest part. Then using that draw out your pipe layout. Then talk to your rental guy about how fast this machine can dig. One more idea talk to Vermer about renting a BIG trencher say 12" wide unit, they can fly thru rocky ground fast, much faster that any mini can dig.