estimate for some model homes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jsfrk, Apr 28, 2006.

1. jsfrk

jsfrk LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I may have an opportunity to provide a bid for builder, who needs maitenance on 30 model homes.

Mowing, trimming, lawn care, landscaping..

WHAT IS A REALISTIC BID OR QUOTE ON SOMETHING LIKE THIS?

2. bullethead

bullethead LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

From personal experience, I would say run, don't walk, the other way. Oh they will promise you all the volume you want, it's that whole profit margin thing they forget about. The production home builders we deal with don't ask you what something will cost, they tell you what they are going to pay - take it or leave it.

I left it. I played the tract home game for a year, then decided to quit. Following year, was easily able to place same guys on higher margin work - with basically the same number of men, I doubled our net income over the previous year's.

If this is a new builder, you might be able to set some prices with him and make some profit on the work, for awhile. This will probably last until he starts talking to the other builders and determines the reason they are making money is because they don't pay the subs diddley.

Also, stay on top of your receivables, these guys go in and out of business about as fast as the grass grows this time of year. With interest rates rising, I think your risk will increase, as well - if a lot of the homes are not under contract when they are being built.

You never want to be busy just for the sake of being busy - your goal should be profitability.

3. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

$75,000 a year.

4. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

You will probally get the job , make sure you get paid on time !

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

There is no middle road working with builders...they are either great or they suck...simple enough.

6. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

RUN RUN RUN RUN ..We refuse to even look at builders model home's or do installations for them.Slowwwwwwwwww payment at best.If you do deal with them, stay on top of it, and go personally to collect your money, if they start the slow boat to china payment plan.DO NOT LET A BUILDER GET BEHIND.

Good luck

7. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Rule of thumb: Never under any circumstances work for Doctors, Lawyers, Clrergy, and especially Builders!!!!

8. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

it seems like a lot of you guys that bash working for builders dont have the cash flow to do the work! i have no problems with builders we do a tremendous amount of hydroseeding/landscaping for builders and g.c's. big deal if they pay in 30 or 45 days if you can wait that long then the work aint for you...

9. bullethead

bullethead LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

30-45 days is fantastic - don't think anyone in the commercial game would reasonably expect faster payment. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the production builder we worked for paid everything in 15 days. The thing that sucked was the razor thin margins on the work - I was dealing with new construction installs

10. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

not going to argue with you on the thin margins with you. but i know with the builders we work for we make a KILLING on change orders and additional work. and some of these builders are probably in the top 50 in the country.