Estimate form ideas PLEASE!!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DodgeTruckMan731, Mar 22, 2006.

1. DodgeTruckMan731

DodgeTruckMan731 LawnSite Senior Member

Can anybody please give me some ideas for an estimate form for lawn maintenance and like garden wall installation including trees shrubs etc. I'm only 15 and i have one for both but i don't think they are professional enough and i don't want to look like a low baller and give them some half a** form to sign. Also i want to have a correct form for legal reasons. Please any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!:)

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

There are NO LEGAL REASON(S) or FORMS for a 15 year old. NOTHING you sign until you are 18 years old is legally binding.....PERIOD.

Plus if they are looking for a 15 year old to do their landscaping don't worry about the looks of the form not being "professional" because you aren't a professional and they know that and by using a 15 year old they are simply looking for cheap....not professional.

3. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

^^^^ yep^^^^

4. DodgeTruckMan731

well guys i want to look professional and i want to be professional. Just because they are hiring a 15 year old doesn't mean there looking for me to do a crappy job but something to look better than what the have, for a penny instead of a dime. I charge the same prices you would charge and put every amount of effort some of you guys put in too. And for the legal thing what if i do the job and don't get paid i can take them to small claims and get my moolah

5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

NAW you can't. At only 15 years old not only can't you sign any legally binding contract but you also can't file legal proceedings. So, IF you feel you can't trust them then you need to get your dad to sign the contract with them.

6. DodgeTruckMan731

oh i see what you mean now, I need a co signer just like i would need for a loan or somthing.

7. Northern Naturals

Northern Naturals LawnSite Member

What you NEED to do is go to work for a real landscaper during the summers until you have some serious expertise in the industry. That is the only way you can be a pro.. Trying to be just doesn't cut it, and it does a disservice to the rest of us... There is nothing wrong with learning through trial and error, but don't start out in error mode.

8. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Unfortunately what everyone is saying is true. I would recommend getting on with the best most professional company you can find, and pick a trade either install or maintenance. I would suggest install, you will learn more and it will serve you well when you begin maintenance. You should have no trouble getting hired but there are probably limits to what they will let you do because of your age and insurance issues. Here is a tip, if for some reason the company you want to work for wont hire you, just show up every morning 15 -20 minutes before their start time with lunch in hand dressed for work and ready to go to work. When I say dressed for work I mean long pants, preferably jeans, no holes, have them fit you, pulled up over your azz, with a belt work boots no tennies. That will get you along way. Us old guys hate those falling down pants. I have never seen this not work by the third day. Then once your there think- think-think the biggest problems I run into as an owner are not because people are moving too slow its because they didn't think things through. Leave the yard without all the tools or materials, try and take shortcuts not digging trenches/holes deep enough, not paying attention to the details of the work they are doing. Learn from the best.

9. DodgeTruckMan731

well, thats my idea, but i still want to mow a few accounts on my own, i don't know if you guys have heard about Great Lakes Landscaping but i want to try to get a summer job there, there only about a block away from my house
    so i can walk there in the morning. But still can anybody give me some ideas or an example of an estimate form:weightlifter:

10. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

If you can manage to get around with what ever your going to need to mow than you do what you think is right. What the others said is good advice.
    Go to staples or office max they have pre printed forms and see if you like any of their forms, - does gopher have something? Use the search feature on top bar.

What was said about getting some experience is really good advice could you cut after work? Good luck!