Estimate help please on this yard

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by boxoffire, Sep 5, 2004.

1. boxoffire

boxoffire LawnSite Member

Well my first yard has fallen into my lap by chance. My brothers step son came by to visit my mom yesterday and I asked him who was mowing his large lawn and he said his dad (my brother). Anyway, wouldn't you know it he was mowing it today and his Sear Craftsman died on him. I get home tonite and my mom said he called and wondered if I would cut it for him. I called him and am going over tomorrow to cut it for him. Now it is my brother, but just wondered if it WASN'T my brother how much somebody would charge for his lawn. Almost 2 acres, very flat, some trimming to do around spruce trees probably (a row of about 10 of them), a little trimming around his house (about the size of a double wide and length), and a couple of dog pen (large) to trim around. No blowing needed, no pavement on his property. I'll proabably get it for the rest of the season (2 more months approx.) and wondered what you would charge if it wasn't your brother? I also have to drive about 20 miles one way to get there. I'm kinda excited, first haul with new trailer with my Jeep Grand Cherokee (93). I hope it does ok it's only a V6 and has 160K on her. Basically, what would one charge for 2 acres approx. of flat land and a few trees to trim around? Maybe I should wait till I'm done and see how long it takes and go from there? How much per hour for non relative? $30? It will be cash. Oh and I have a John Deere L110 mulching mower with 42 inch deck.

Thanks for your help.

Adam

2. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

In my neck of the woods I would say between $75 and $90 per cut.

3. boxoffire

boxoffire LawnSite Member

Thank you sir! I was thinking it will take about 2 hours at least to do, so about $40 an hour sounds right. I'll probably try to work at least $60 out of him per cut, but he might give me some grief. If he does, maybe I'll go down to $50 and that's it. And if he gives me more crap, I'll tell him to get his Sears mower fixed or call somebody else and see what they would charge. Some brother I am heh? LOL.... :D

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Never work for family or friends Your only asking for trouble. If he's your brother and he needs his lawn mowed let him get someone else to mow it OR do it free. When money changes hands between family members trouble follows.

Mac

5. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Mac's right, that's a good rule of thumb to work by. As an example, years ago my old boss signed up 3 or 4 of his neighbors, since we mowed his lawn and he was kind of out of the way. Wanted to make the trip worthwile. Anyway, it didn't work out too well, the neighbors expected him to drop by at a moments notice to "look" at various problems. "You're just down the street, what's the big deal?". After he'd tell them that he was "off the clock" at 8:30 at night (and on Sundays), they'd get ticked off and cancel. So his little experiment in working for friends didn't do well for him.