estimate help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr DanO, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Mr DanO

Mr DanO LawnSite Member

:confused: Have to do my first estimate tomarrow, How do you guys bid on cleaning out beds by the square ft or by the hour. Also how do you know when to thatch, by how thick it is?If so how thick? Thanks and have a great weekend. DanO

2. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

For you doing your first estimate, an not knowing how to do it. I would charge by the hour.

As far as knowing when to thatch.....I would leave that alone for now....You dont thatch, you dethatch. sounds like ya got a bit of crawling to do before you walk.......;) ;)

3. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Bid it hourly so you don't cut yourself short..

4. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

You learn by doing. Do this one and then you will know next job how long it takes.

5. Mr DanO

Mr DanO LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply's. I was thinking of doing it by the hour but needed to be sure, As for the dethacthing I knew that just forgot the De. The customer's lawn is only 4 yrs old I don't really think it needs dethacthing yet antway ,But how do I tell for sure? Thanks agian DanO

6. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I hate selling de-thatching services.. Try hooking them up with aeration.. Aeration is better than de-thatching and it accompishes basically the same thing.