estimate in the rain ..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scagwildcat, May 13, 2006.

1. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

yesterday it poured here, a lady called me wanting a price on mowing, she said that she has called a few people this week but no one has come to look at it because of the rain, i told her to give me about 30min and ill be there, she couldnt believe it, i was going to show up in the rain!! so i get there, i look around , even with my rain jacket i was drenched,anyway i told her
    if i was to go by last years price i would do it for 25, but because of the cost of fuel, my min this year no matter how small$30.00, SHE SAYS OH-NO thats way,way to much, and before i could get a word in she tells me that the guy she had last year charged her $20 but one day she paid him his 20 cash, her daugter and her got in the car ,drove around the block and saw this guy get into his truck and drive off without mowing the lawn, so i said well, mam, did you think that you were getting a good deal at $20 compared to my 30 + tax. atleast i would showup and mow the lawn
    and not just take your money, then i said thank you to her got into my truck and drove off.....lol

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I've learned to half watch it anymore when I hear someone ask for an estimate and then they tell me that they've called lots of Lco's and nobody would show... It's not for sure, but...

I'll certainly still go out there but what happens next (such as in your case) would be of no surprise to me. Next time when you can feel yourself wanting to lowball (re-read your post, I can see you wanted to), instead of going through the bs and the blablabla, skip all that and quote the regular price + 20% - 50%, so 40.
    The other way to do it, take your lowest that you were GOING to do it for, and double it. Either way, it's 40 dollars and when you do that, they don't say another word because as you can see, this one did and it was just that same old song and dance which is why the last Lco left her high and dry, too.

Advanced Anti-lowball artillery, lol.

3. Jnamo

Jnamo LawnSite Member

Topsites- So what do you accomplish but stunning them with the $40.00 price? I am interested in what type of outcome you are looking for by making this suggestion.
    This is a serious question, I am not being a smart a** or looking to start something. I am curious as to your logic?
    Jeff

4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

People want something for nothing. They don't realize that we have overhead to cover. They are used to kids coming door to door and charging 20 bucks to push mow it when they get around to it. We are in it to make a living, not to support our video game collection.

5. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I find that when someone calls for a estimate that i will ask if the most important factor in service is price, if it is i tell them i am not the cheapest and they might want to consider calling someone else. Then for some reason they are more interisted in getting you to give them an estimate. They do not always take it but it's almost like they respect you for telling them up front that your price might be higher. :waving:

6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

When people give me the warning signs.
    "what is your average price for lawn cutting?"
    "My last guy just stopped showing up and its been about a month since it has been mowed"
    "I have been through 6 LCO's this year."
    "I am a widow and can't mow my lawn, can you do it?"
    "I am on a fixed income and my last guy raised my price so I am calling you."

I tell them that I have two companies. Then I explain one is for the those looking for a bargain and all we do is mow, edge, line trim and blow payment is by credit or debit card ONLY.

The other company only offers full service (mowing, fert, weed control, hedge trimming and irrigation maintenance as our basic offering). Which are you looking for?

This very quickly qualifies them.

first one gets a quote while we are on the phone and a close attempt for credit card to start service on the next mow date.

second one gets an appointment for a custom estimate (if and only if they don't seem like a price shopper / time waster)