Estimate notebook?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by RSK Property Maintenance, Jan 7, 2013.

1. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

there's really no need. it's not much paperwork at all. i just jot down a few things each day. takes a few min. i have no need for it while i'm out working. even if i had an ipad i would back it up on paper. you never know when it's gonna go poof on you and you lose everything. you can't trust computers or phones completely lol.

say you're out working one day and something happens. the ipad gets dropped or something. you lose everything. a protective case doesn't prevent all damage. you would be up the creek without a paddle. you drop a notebook it doesn't break and you lose nothing. i don't take my notebook with me though. i leave it at home. there's no need for it on the job. all you need working is lawn equipment and gas lol.

i tend to use my mind as my computer. i'll do that until i lose my mind i guess lol.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I use a day planner to keep track of all of my appointments, work schedule and as a day log to record what I actually do. I keep it in a zippered leather cover that has room for my calculator, business cards, pens/pencils and a spot for a note pad. I also keep a printout of my current customer contact list from Quickbooks in it. Here's the day planner I prefer....just got my new one in the mail yesterday in fact.
    http://www.bing.com/shopping/at-a-g...ce 70-ep01&qpvt=at+a+glance+70-ep01&FORM=HURE

I also have an aluminum storage clipboard that I keep in my truck which has some marketing materials in it, blank lawn maintenanace agreements, 3 part estimate and invoice forms and a note pad. I tend to use that when I'm doing estimates for new customers or for installation and renovation estimates as well as for field invoices. I just use generic forms I get at Staples for that. My aluminum clipboard is similar to this, but it opens like a book instead. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q62CKE?&tag=shopwiki-us-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325

P.S. - The day planner also has sections in it for notes, to do lists and some resource information in it like important dates, international holidays and area codes. I keep track of my non-mowing to-do list and have my mowing and plowing lists in those sections.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  3. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider LawnSite Member

We use preprinted forms and also iPads to keep track of everything. As we also spray we need to carry copies of Labels and MSDS, all on the iPad. We would be lost without our technology

4. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

How do people make PDFs like that? What program?

5. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I really want to go to a paperless system as much as possible anyway

6. quietone

quietone LawnSite Member

I would suggest getting all of that info put into software. It will allow you to use it later for marketing purposes. I would suggest Servicesidekick.com . Otherwise just used you email calendar.

www.quietvillagelandscaping.com