Estimate on Arborvitae trimming

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by pcarlson1911, Oct 12, 2006.

1. pcarlson1911

pcarlson1911 LawnSite Member

Again, I am looking at a 40' long and 12' high hedge of Arborvitae. The plans are healthy but over grown. I am more comfortable trimming in the spring before new growth and then again 3 months later. Probably march 15th and june 15th. Any suggestions on how to bid. I figure 1.5 hours. 60.00 per trim including disposal? We can't take off too much, or old wood will be exposed.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

pc

2. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

how much off the top are you taking. if it were just a trim on all of it, say no more than 6-8 inches of growth i would say more like 150-200.

3. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

$120 seems about right to me.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

$60 per trim? Sure! That'll cover the DUMP fee.... How deep (wide) is this thing, anyway? I guess alot of it has to do with how much you're taking of. If you are barely even knicking it, then yeah,...I suppose it can be done for that. But, it has been my experience with arbs that they can have quite a bit of material come off of them - especially if you're doing a decent shaping.

5. pcarlson1911

I'm on the bottom end of the spectrum as I am looking to do the work in two smaller trimmings to make sure we don't damage the overall health of the plants. so two $60 trims will be at the $120 mark for one big trim. I will be able to compost the trimmings on my property, so I'm not too worried about disposal.

Any other suggestions or thoughts.
    pc

6. chrisa123

chrisa123 LawnSite Member

yea but then youve got to factor in the two extra trips needed ect. 60 per trim is way too low i would say 250

7. pcarlson1911

I got the bid at $120. The property is located next door to a weekly mowing account, so the trip back won't be a factor for me.

The best part is he immediately asked me to bid a large cleanup on his property, so the lower bid could turn out to be quite profitable.
    pc