Estimate Phobia

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Andy Miller, Feb 2, 2002.

1. Andy Miller

Andy Miller LawnSite Member

I do not understand why I do this, but I really sweat giving a new customer a proposal. I am always prepared, but I feel that my sales presentation really is second rate. I feel embarrased to ask for what the job really is worth and do not feel that I put my best foot forward. It feels like I have stage fright. Am I nuts?

2. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

Anxiety is caused by the unknown. Suggest you read Zig Ziglar's "Secrets of closing the sale"

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I guess my first question to you would be, "How long have you been giving estimates?" I checked your profile, but I couldn't see how long you've been in business. If you answer, "Only a short time", well then I can understand.

You need to gain confidence. And the only way to do that is to keep on giving those estimates. The more you give, the more relaxed you will feel. Before you know it, it will become second nature to you.

4. RoewMow

RoewMow LawnSite Member

As a former bank manager with commercial calling responsibilities and the prerequisite "selling seminars" I have a few suggestions if you care to read on.

First don't be afraid of the first no ..... a lot of people say no at first or try to knock your price down out of habit. Remember you are offering up a valuable service.

Second, if you are giving them an estimate then they have interest in your service!!!!

People often feel guilty about not buying, so remember to ask for the business. A lot of times at first that was why I missed out on some business opportunities ..... I had the company on the hook and left my proposal without asking for the business.

And finally remember, just be yourself and treat that customer, while you're with them, like they are the most important person in the world. Don't answer your cell phone etc. better yet don't take it in the business with you.

If I've been helpful, and you have any other ??? please contact me. BTW please check out posting for "Advice" by Mowme and give us a hand.

5. _GUNNER_8

_GUNNER_8 LawnSite Member
    from TN

6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

When you get tired of being on the losing end you will learn how to spit that number out. I did it for a while and decided after feeling terrible every time I went to that site that I was going to change or get out. I started spitting out bigger numbers and people started taking them!!!!!!

I feels betta now:D

When you leave the truck to make the sale, tell yourself that the person inside does not hold your life in their hand...........believe it and move forward with confidence.

If they say no then so be it, your still alive and able to go to the next one.

7. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

Andy,

I know this is not the answer to your whole question, but as far as the low bid goes I just look at it like do I want to be stuck doing this yard for next to nothing all summer or make what it's really worth. Remember most of us don't do this for fun. We have bills to pay and more bills etc... If I can't get what its worth I don't want it. If you look hard enough there is plenty of work out there.

I hope this helps,

Ed

8. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

If you are just starting out, then esitimate phobia is normal. But like the others said, try not to sell yourself short and be steamed-off everytime you have to go to that property. Also if you get a reputation as the "cheap guy" you will keep getting low paying customer referrals. I must admit that I still get a bit squeamish asking for "big bucks" on some jobs, but then I catch myself and say this is what the job is worth!

9. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

go to your local community college n take a class in speech ... it will show you how to over come these feelings

10. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I used to be terrified of speaking in public, then I joined a communty group and found out that if you really believe in what you are speaking about then the butterflies seem to disappear. Now I go to town meetings etc and speak my peace with no problems. Same with potential customer presentations. Though with potential customers I tend to try to warm them up a bit first before diving right in.

My opinion is that you need to convince yourself beforehand that your estimate is fair and reasonable, you did your homework, and that only an irrational (or lowballed) person would not jump at it. So if they blow you off who cares, you didnt want them in the first place lol...