Estimate Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Adam3669, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Adam3669

Adam3669 LawnSite Senior Member

Alrite, so if I am going out to a residential home to give an estimate...do I tell them the price right there on the spot? Or do I tell them I will be giving them a call or something?
    Thanks, Adam

2. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I usually tell them my minimum, $25.00, on the phone and then if they still are interested I look at the property and usually give the price right there.
    On jobs other than mowing, I usually shy away from on the spot pricing. I like to mull it over, ensure what my costs are going to be for that particular job, ie mulch, borders and the like. Then I call them and give them my estimate. It's too easy to forget some aspect of price of a job with on the spot estimates.

3. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

For something as simple as mowing, I always give an estimate on the spot. If you say you will call / mail an estimate it gives them time to call someone else who may give a estimate on the spot.

4. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

exactly what procut said. Also as you get more and more accounts you can then begin to just price by the area or neighborhood their in. Give a price right on the phone.....

5. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

That's good in most cases. I usually look on my county's property site and look at the picture and the aerial view.

6. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

For mowing, I tell them right on the spot. No sense doing all the agreement paperwork and then find out later, they want a lower fee. If/when they agree to it,I then send them the service agreement for signature

7. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

For mowing I always give them it on the spot. That way they have to play lowball face to face and most people can't. They don't have the balls. When they do though, they get to see me laugh, face to face.

8. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I agree 100% But last year I started giving them my minimum rate over the phone and this eliminated a lot of dead beat customers. Even for landscaping I sit down with them and figure out what they want and work up some rough figures, I carry a price sheet with me from the nursery and landscape supply company I deal with, that saves a lot of time.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

On the spot...I may even say to them it could go $5 up or down after I mow it once and see how long it takes.

10. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Could you give more info on that please?