Estimate question?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by TonyG, Aug 8, 2007.

1. TonyG

TonyG LawnSite Member

I'm bidding a 1,300 sq.ft new lawn install. The area needs to be excavated down 3" to remove the 2-B stone and gravel...it was used as off street parking.

-I'm looking at 15-yards of 70-30 mix topsoil delivered...$450
    -Seed and lime $50
    -Peat top cover 2-yards...$60

I'll double that subtotal to cover labor and assorted cost = $560 X 2 = $1,120
    and I'll add $200 to run the Bobcat and dump for excavation..ok we'll round it off too $1,300 total.
    Does this sound fair to both parties?

2. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds too cheap for my taste. How much is you removal cost. 3" over 1300 sq. ft. is a lot of material to haul off site. We get a standard 360.00 a day for a skid-steer charge. How much is the cost on the new sod itself? These are costs not in you bid, why not? You may want to look a little harder at this estimate. Good luck.

3. TonyG

TonyG LawnSite Member

Cost of new sod itself? This will not require any sod, if that is what your asking. The excavated material, 2" actually,will be dropped around there property...50' away. I estimated that it will take less than two hours to remove the material, very, very easy access.
    Given these facts, what price would you be comfortable with? I think I can get this job done somewhere between 4-5 hours.

4. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

i wouldnt touch if no less than about $2000.00

5. TonyG

TonyG LawnSite Member

how long do you think you need to complete this job?

6. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

Why do you call it a new lawn install? Without seeing it I would charge 2200.00

7. TonyG

TonyG LawnSite Member

lawncare term for "new lawn install" (sod)? I was calling it new lawn because there was only a 2-B parking area here before. I've never messed with sod installs as of yet, anyway what do you call what I'm proposing to do above?
    By the way guys, thanks for the replies..