Estimate Stolen By Another Company:(

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Harvestman, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Harvestman

Harvestman LawnSite Member

I called a customer back today to see if he had time to look over a estimate i left him yesterday. He said there was not on there from me but there was one from Scott's. The Scott's guy must have taken my estimate! Thats just WRONG and I'm ANGRY. I know it did not blow off I secured real well when I left it. So should I call Scott's and complain or should I let it go. I did run out another estimate but have not herd back from the customer.:(

2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

You have zero proof that anyone "stole" anything. You have no choice but to let it go.

3. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

He most likely did steal it, but as gogetter stated, you have no proof so you will just have to keep dreaming of his early demise! :angry: (jk)

Chris

4. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

I've had that happen before and I let the custoemer draw trheir own conclusions. I say something like -- Hmm thats very interesting -- I was there at 9:15 on Wednesday and there was no estiamte -- but when you got home there was an estiamte for Scotts?? Well, I wonder what happened. Can I e-mail you another copy right away?

5. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I say, "Unfortunately, I have had this happen several times recently, but when I was there I saw..." Then they know you were there and I throw my price at them. Its usually lower than the guy on commission anyway.

Let me tell you about my local Scott's... one of their employees is a CUSTOMER of mine. I SWEAR, was there again today in fact. They like my work. True story.

Enough Said about those winners...

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I put my estimates in a yellow envelope maybe a 9x12 and close them up so others dont see them or know what is in them.

7. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Hand deliver....Mail......or maybe fax. Leaving it in the open can be risky.

8. airtractrdrivr

airtractrdrivr LawnSite Member

Precisely why I NEVER leave an estimate hanging on a door or stuffed in a mailbox... I always hand deliver them, telephone the customer with the price, or fax it to them. Leaving one on a door is just asking for trouble.

9. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

I slide estimates through the weather stripping in the door so far that it is barely visible from outside and you'd need tweezers to pull it back.
    Never lost one yet.