1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

estimate tips

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by BillyRgn, Aug 21, 2004.

1. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

with fall coming up i was wondering if any body out there has any tips for giving estimates on blowing/ removal jobs.??
  2. Ray & Karen

Ray & Karen LawnSite Member

Figure out how long it will take to accomplish the job, then add one hour, because I always seem to underestimate the time it takes to do something.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Funny thing, for some reason I always seem to overestimate leaf jobs. With mulch jobs, I have a tendency to go low. I always try to draw on past jobs, when I do an estimate for a new job, I mentally compare it with jobs I've done before of a similar scope. That seems to help a lot.
  4. NCL

NCL LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Charge per man hour so you never loose your shirt.
  5. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

You poor guys on the east coast and all them nasty leaves. Leaf p/u is crappy work but I guess, in a sense, money really does grow on trees. We've got plenty of tree's out here but half of them are evergreens. As for how to charge for it, I agree with figuring out how long it will take and adding an hour. Plus, don't forget to calculate how much time and expense is involved in hauling, off-loading and disposing of the leaves once they are picked up. Don't just stop your time once you leave the property.
  6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

ITs real easy, How much money do you want /need to do the job then add a little or alot more depending on how you feel that day.

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

1. do you need to bag it, mulch, or blow it
    2. haul away or keep on property
    3. major one: how thick is the leaves