1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Estimate Turn Around

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnsRUsInc., Mar 26, 2005.

1. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

What is the estiamte turn around from when someone calls to when you stop out and get them the estimate?

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

The sooner the better I would say.
    Obviously if the call comes in before your actual season starts, it's a lot easier to find the time to get there quick. When I take the calls, I try to set up the estimate for the same day and say something like, "Matt has a few estimates already scheduled today in your area, would it be ok if he stops out today?"
    During work season it's more difficult, but we'll shoot for no later than 24 hours after they make the call. Being quick is good, and more times than not, impresses the potential client because A LOT of service contractors never even show up.
  3. fazzy815-66

fazzy815-66 LawnSite Senior Member

Are you Talking about how Quickly you get the estimate to them?
    I always do it as soon as possible the quicker you respond the more chance of winning the estimate.If your very busy give the potential customer an honest time you can get there.This shows your responsible and service oriented.
  4. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

LawnsrUs- I really like what Major said, "xyz will be in your area today" this way even if your not busy it makes you seem a little busier. I had 2 customers last year call and I said I could be right out and the response once I got there floored me, "so you must not be a good company if your not that busy". and the other one was something like, "you must not have any customers if you can come right out" I was kinda speechless. I use a cell phone for the main number and I always call right back but I never tell them I will be right out anymore. And my turn around time for actually giving them the estimate is next day.
  5. Alan Oncken

Alan Oncken LawnSite Member

I think most people are very impatient and the longer you wait, the better the chance that they will call someone else.
  6. CuttingCrew

CuttingCrew LawnSite Member

Get an estimate in their hand as soon as reasonably possible. Don't put off a paying customer to get them done, (“a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush” rule) but don't make them wait if you don't have to.

"So, you must not be a good company if your not that busy" and the other one was something like, "you must not have any customers if you can come right out"

I love people like this. My response would have been something like "Actually, I run a very good company and we are very busy, in part because we believe in good customer service like you are experiencing right now. Just imagine the kind of service you will get from us when we are being paid by you."

My quote would reflect the fact that I expect them to be a PITA customer.

7. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

If I get the call before 3pm I will do it the same day..

Any estimate request calls after 3pm will be handled on the next day.. But always complete within 24hrs..
  8. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Mike where wer you when I needed that come back last year LOL. I will have to remember that one.
  9. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

My response about comments on not being busy would be ....we run a dedicated Customer Service Represenitive. Last year I handled mostly running around here and their things wh ile the other truck was out working. My truck was decaled with "Customer Service Vehicle". All about image.
  10. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I shoot for the same day, I will call back as soon as I get a message if I'm already on a job or elsewhere and the cell is in the truck. Basically my format is if left a message call back immediately (you would not believe the number of people that this common courtesy is not extended by other companies). If I speak directly to them on the phone I shoot for same day walk around and discussion, or when it is convenient for them (obviously easier now than later in the year). I always carry pocket calendar, steno pad for notes, all my tools, measuring wheel, etc. graph paper in a three ring binder to make a rough sketch of the property, house lay of beds, trees, etc. and my digital camera. Clean shirt with company name, etc. Show up on time and give them a time frame to expect to hear back from me (usually same day).

I had a guy leave me a message just the other day (its been raining a lot here so I'm catching up around the "farm") I had cell phone on but in my truck. I checked it around 5:00 and he had left message about 30 minutes earlier. He got my name from someone else, needed an area where he had an addition put on graded/leveled, raked, seeded and starter fert. I called him back spoke with his wife (he was on his cell trying to get ahold of someone else about the same job) As I'm speaking with wife he gets done and I talk with him, now its nearly dinner time so I ask when is best time for him, set up next day in the P.M. when he will be home. I show up, he is falling all over himself thanking me for being prompt at calling back and on time to check job out, remarks about other companies not returning calls, blah, blah, blah. I look around take some measurements and tell him I'll e-mail him an estimate that night (quickbooks plug here :) ) Long story short I landed a gravy job and continued to get my name out there.

I can relate all to well to how aggravating it is to call around and not get any response, thats why when I decided to do this I made a personal commitment to do my utmost to return all calls, be clean and courteous, and prompt. I am positive this has helped me accelerate my anticipated growth and will continue to use these methods as one of the tenants of my customer service philosophy.